Wiki Needs Work!

Keenan Weaver link said:
[quote author=Shadowen link=topic=145.msg736#msg736 date=1168759344]
I'm currently trying to compose a new article for the series as a whole.  The meat of it is the story/setting, which is largely just Dr. Ethan R. Singh's \"The Rise of the World Economic Consortium\" reworded, at the moment, with a final paragraph about the Silencer's defection.

The main series article? I think a 'story' part of the main series article should be a summarization of the two games only... separately, not together, and not really with the fiction documents...[/quote]

I should think that the main article would be the place for all fiction, with the individual games just giving a brief summary of the story to that point and getting more involved with their own story.

Also, I like that new mech in the No Mercy screenshot.  We should try to work that into the Crusader II design somehow...

Shadowen link said:
[quote author=Keenan Weaver link=topic=145.msg739#msg739 date=1168782931]
[quote author=Shadowen link=topic=145.msg736#msg736 date=1168759344]
I'm currently trying to compose a new article for the series as a whole.  The meat of it is the story/setting, which is largely just Dr. Ethan R. Singh's \"The Rise of the World Economic Consortium\" reworded, at the moment, with a final paragraph about the Silencer's defection.

The main series article? I think a 'story' part of the main series article should be a summarization of the two games only... separately, not together, and not really with the fiction documents...[/quote]

I should think that the main article would be the place for all fiction, with the individual games just giving a brief summary of the story to that point and getting more involved with their own story.

Also, I like that new mech in the No Mercy screenshot.  We should try to work that into the Crusader II design somehow...
[/quote]

Well, what fiction are we specifically talking about?

The main article should be the place for all background relating to the series as a whole.  Which is why, at the moment, most of my article is little more than rewording of that Rise of the WEC paper from No Regret.  However, I will be editing it--and, of course, putting it here for criticism when I'm done--to make it shorter, simpler, and cleaner.  As well as less focused on the point of view of the original author--a completely "out of universe" style.

Also, mea culpa: reading the Topline scans of No Remorse, it refers to APPs such as the Vetron and Thermatron as "servomechs".

...of course, it also refers to the Vetron as the newest model, and the APP-4400, and describes it as being armed with twin "60-mm pulse cannons".  So what does it know? :p

And there is, of course, the question of WEC propaganda...

The thing we really should focus on is to "wikify" the writing... I see many articles at Wikipedia that don't sound like it could be in an encyclopedia, and it just annoys me. So, we should write everything we can, then try to make it sound good.

Working on Silencer's all-new entry.

One thing I've noticed: nowhere in all the materials that have been scanned do I see reference to what I had assumed was canon--that being that Silencers are identified during testing when citizen/partners are adolescents, and then spirited away to the secret training facility.  That was, it seems, entirely made up by the owners of the Crusader website I surfed years ago.

I still like it, but it sadly has no place in Wiki.

Well, we gotta make sure that the info we put in is official and isn't some fan-made thing. For example, your fan fiction is awesome stuff, but it doesn't belong in the Crusader articles.

A lot of the stuff I had thought was canon I can't find anywhere else except in files I made of that other sites' text.  So I will not include it.  I'm making sure not to include anything else that's not canon.

Hello everyone, I'm pretty new here on Echo Sector, however I've been working on the Crusader articles on Wikipedia (created almost all of them actually...), so I thought to drop on the forum a few lines since you're discussing about the whole matter here.

Actually, I already wrote this on the talk page of the Crusader article on Wikipedia, so I'll just copy & paste it below. Hope this may help!

Start of copied text from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Crusader_%28computer_game%29
"This is good news, the more users work on the subject, the better the articles will become. However, please keep in mind Wikipedia aims to "encyclopedic" style computer game articles and a lot of stuff (including some that it's already in the articles) may be considered plain cruft and rejected. The existence of the weapons and enemies articles, for example, is quite at risk, since they are likely to be considered "game guide" stuff and deleted as happened to the Halo and F.E.A.R. related weapons articles. I'd advise to concentrate work on:

-Crusader (computer game) => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusader_%28computer_game%29
- Silencer (Crusader) => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silencer_%28Crusader%29

These articles have a better life expectancy if correctly developed. For examples of cvg articles developed in good accord with Wikipedia policy you may check out
- Halo: Combat Evolved => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_Combat_Evolved
- F.E.A.R. => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.E.A.R.

Welcome!

Yeah, I was gonna say something like that. We have to make sure we make the articles like an encyclopedia.

Thanks for the welcome!  :)

Yeah, occasionally Wikipedia has its "killing spree" of game related articles, so the best thing to achieve their survival is to try and follow the "encyclopedic approach". I'll gladly help with the ongoing work, albeit I'm not hanging much around Wikipedia lately...

Half-Life 2 was a featured article a few days ago, we should also look at that one for reference.

I was thinking... should we assign sections of the article to specific people? That way, they could focus primarily on that section without worrying about anything else (until the end).

There's some problems with this, however. Maybe there's like five people that know a lot about one part and others not.

OR

We could focus on one section at a time... which would be tons better, in my opinion.

Okay, since the site went down, we kinda lost track of what we're doing for the Wiki... Let's try to write an overview of the series for the time being.

Intro:

Crusader is a series of action-oriented computer games developed by Origin Systems and published by Electronic Arts. It comprises of two titles: Crusader: No Remorse, released in 1995, and Crusader: No Regret, released in 1996. Set in a dystopian 22nd-century, the games center on an elite super soldier that defects from the current world government, the World Economic Consortium, and joins the resistance that opposes the WEC, aptly named the Resistance, to fight the tyrannical government whom he was once employed to.

I think we should consider (or still consider? not sure if we considered it before) to split the article with one article for No Remorse and one article for No Regret. Relevant story and history can be divided as well as some technical aspects and stuff like that. On second thought, the article isn't very long as it is now, splitting would yield to relatively small topics.

It was considered in the original post. You can see the diagram for what the articles will look like in the original post. We should split up each game.

When I first drafted the Crusader article on Wikipedia I thought the contents had to be expanded a lot prior to splitting between No Remorse and No Regret. The problem I had back then was to find enough info on the games. Information on story, characters and the such is not too difficult to get, the real problem is in the technical field, not to mention reviews: for modern games it's easy to come across dozens of reliable review sites, but in depth articles on older games, such us our beloved Crusader titles, is more difficult.

Personally, before a split I'd like to add sections for an in-depth overview of gameplay and a technical section on the game. Development history would also be nice; I think there were a couple of interviews to Tony Zurovec and Jason Ely on the Origin website back in 95-96 that should contain something useful for that, however I don't have a copy of them... BTW, we should also try to keep low on what is considered "fan cruft" on Wiki: for this matter I'm a bit worried about the existence of the enemies and weapons articles... Similar articles for other game were deleted according to Wikipedia policy and I believe those ones related to Crusader have not been (yet) spotted...

As I said I'd gladly help, but after chaning job last month I'm finding difficult to keep updated and work on Wiki: not enough time!  :(

Yeah, Berserker is right. We have to avoid those "fan cruft" pages. We gotta write it like an encyclopedia.

ok guys so what did you write in there? I would liek to know more specificaly. I want to make a special section under Crusader Background named Crusader Wiki, which will link to crusader's Wiki pages. However i would like to indicate the original author or the contributor of the articles.

Back