Wiki Needs Work!

Keenan

Administrator
Staff member
Wikipedia has grown in popularity over the past several years; it is a very popular source to read about specific topics such as bug species, astronomers, and even computer games. The article about our most favorite video games needs some work. We've been having a discussion about the various Crusader articles at Wikipedia and I've decided that we need to make those articles some of the best you can read there.

It will not be an easy or short process, so it will take some dedication. But we already seem to have that already from some of you guys, which I appreciate very much.

We will use the comments section of this news update as a discussion area to work out what needs to be done for the article. Soon I will post a list of what needs to be done to the Crusader articles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusader_(computer_game)

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE

1) Separate articles
a. Main series article
b. No Remorse article
c. No Regret article
d. Silencer

A. Series article will contain
a. Overview of series
b. Short description of both games
c. Future/canceled games

Reference for series article: Silent Hill

B. No Remorse article will contain
a. Overview of the game
b. Story/Plot
c. Gameplay
d. Development
e. Critical Response
f. Ports
g. Soundtrack
h. Trivia

Reference for the No Remorse article: Half-Life

C. No Regret article will contain
a. Overview of the game
b. Story/Plot
c. Gameplay
d. Development
e. Critical Response
f. Soundtrack
g. Trivia

Reference for the No Regret article: Half-Life

D. The Silencer article will contain
a. Overview/Characteristics
b. The Captain (Our Silencer) (his origins, his story, etc.)

Reference for the Silencer article: Link

That's all for now.

Sorry, I indeed did, I was already wondering what I had forgot as I was sure there were five articles.

Btw, I reverted your edit of Mechs -> Servomechs. They are designated as Servomechs, so that seems to the official designation and that should be used. Mechs seems to be shortened slang by the rebels. Perhaps we could add a small clarifying sentence saying that Servomechs are usually referred to as Mechs, but in my eyes the title should be Servomechs.

I think the overview article should also contain the History of the Crusader universe. The article of No Remorse should start with the story as it's being told starting from the intro. Any other history (found in the in-game literature, the strategy guide for No Remorse and RESIST.TXT (which actually is a compilation of the strategy guide texts I think, but I can't verify that as my brother has my No Regret CD)) should go the overview article.

Attention should be paid to the Petra Experiment as there are discrepancies in the strategy guide texts.

The text "World Economic Consortium: Rise to Power" on page 166 states that the population of Petra was reduced by mechanized warriors.

However the larger text "The Rise of the World Economic Consortium By Ethan R. Singh, Ph.D." (starting on 168) tells us that on page 176 that "On April 7 2194, at 0545 hours, more than 300 stratospheric fighterbombers were launched from the MilOps cartel air base at Brasilia."

This last text is a far more elaborate text on the history of the WEC and also is in line with Sgt Brooks comment about the WEC flattening Petra, which implies bombardment, not culling my Mechs.

I think the article should go with the bombardment version as 'official' but also mention the alternate version, all with proper references of course.

References will be a major task, but we can look at the Half-Life 2 at how it's done. As for now, I've added all material as references. My suggestion would be to rename those sections to "Sources" and the new header "References" should have detailed references to page numbers in those books with references notes in the text, just like in the Half-Life article.

I'm not sure if everyone has access to the sources I specified in the articles (all in-game literature including RESIST.TXT and both strategy guides), but I'm willing to work on referencing if you guys are unable to. Also we should take our time with this, probably even post the new articles here first (creating new threads for them) so we can refine them and perfect them before we post them to Wiki. Alternatively we can do the same on wiki, but in our user talk pages. The upside would be that we can incorporate refs and wikilinks right away and see if everything is right and the forum won't be bogged down by huge threads with different versions, instead we simply overwrite the talkpage with the new version. Old versions can be looked at using the wiki history.

I've seen users sometimes who seem to have subdirectory's of their userpage for example "user001/Test page" where they store test versions of articles they are creating. I'm not sure how this is done, but that would be ideal. We could set up such a page under anyone's account and everyone would be able to edit.

Just some thoughts on my behalf.

I also thought of incorporating the unreleased Crusader fiction I have into the article... I've uploaded one of the documents from that .zip onto the web, it explains some of the basic principals of the WEC. It MAY already be in some released fiction, but I'm not positive.

http://www.hamtwoslices.net/echosector/History2.DOC

Obviously, we should point out this is "unofficial" in a sense because it wasn't released officially... but we can assume it's accurate in the fiction since it WAS written by Origin people.

The overview shouldn't be too big, in my opinion. I think we could make a WEC page and fill all the WEC related crap in there.

Shadowen link said:
I like the idea of combining the two.

First the bombing, and then the mechs are sent in to clean up.

Simply combining the two should not be done, that would be speculation on our behalf and wikipedia is no place for speculation.

As for fiction we should only use the official sources. Wikipedia is not a place for fanfic or other non-official info. Perhaps that history document can be used on this site, but I do not think it should be used for wikipedia. Sources for wikipedia must be official sources that are available to everyone.

As for the WEC history, I think we should start with incorporating it in the main article, if gets to big, we can still cut it out to make a new article from it and make a link in the main article.

The Silencer link said:
[quote author=Shadowen link=topic=145.msg660#msg660 date=1167843463]

Simply combining the two should not be done, that would be speculation on our behalf and wikipedia is no place for speculation.[/quote]

I love Wiki and all, but that just about made me piss myself laughing.

Shadowen link said:
[quote author=The Silencer link=topic=145.msg662#msg662 date=1167861413]

Simply combining the two should not be done, that would be speculation on our behalf and wikipedia is no place for speculation.[/quote]

[/quote]

Wikipedia is supposed to be encyclopedic. I haven't seen any encyclopedia with speculation in it. The fact that others do that on Wikipedia doesn't mean se should do that  too.

The Silencer link said:
[quote author=Shadowen link=topic=145.msg666#msg666 date=1167892618]
[quote author=The Silencer link=topic=145.msg662#msg662 date=1167861413]

[/quote]

Wikipedia is supposed to be encyclopedic. I haven't seen any encyclopedia with speculation in it. The fact that others do that on Wikipedia doesn't mean se should do that  too.
[/quote]

True, and I always try to adhere to that standard.  But encylodedic articles on nebulous subjects do include speculation, if only with notes that it is speculation.  This is particularly noteworthy and important on Wikipedia, where to be honest, only things that those who frequent it care about get much attention and work.  The more people are into something, the more likely it is that opinions will clash.

I am not saying we should include speculation as if it were fact; we should include any fan theories, if only with a note that they are indeed fan theories.  In things like Memory Alpha (the Star Trek Wiki), because there's so much of it there is canon that conflicts with itself--dates, ranks, and ages of characters, for example.  They handle this by taking each source at face value and then mentioning the conflict between the two, including phrases like "has never been resolved" when appropriate.

So we include both, and note the discrepancy.

That's what I proposed, but not combining the two (first bombing than mechs) as the Mech theory doesn't even hint at a bombardment. Both should be presented seperately and not connected.

Since some months, I had the project to create a Crusader page on the French Wikipedia (there's not :'()... So, if you are agree, I'll translate the English page when it will be good for all ! :)

Regrettably, I don't enough feel at ease in English to participate in this community as much as I would want it... But I do everything I can because Crusader is a really great game and you are all very nice and motivated ! It's a real pleasure to be on this forum ! :D

I added a few things to the Wiki today--character histories, personality quirks, and so forth.  I even created a short psychological profile for the Captain himself.

I'm starting to like the idea of a Wiki for the WEC.

Wow, awesome work! I'll probably add some more info for the characters, and possibly pictures.

I'm currently trying to compose a new article for the series as a whole.  The meat of it is the story/setting, which is largely just Dr. Ethan R. Singh's "The Rise of the World Economic Consortium" reworded, at the moment, with a final paragraph about the Silencer's defection.

I have a gameplay overview that's pretty much only missing a look at the tactical movement possible, and a bit more accurate information on higher difficulty levels.

I have a very basic description of No Remorse and No Regret, and the beginning of something on future/cancelled games, which will require that infamous multiplayer screenshot.

Also, a belated return on Servomechs: servomechs are utility mechs.  The servomechs encountered are specifically called armed servomechs because they have weaponry as an addition to their utilitarian functions.  Combat mechs are called anti-personnel platforms (hence APP).  You never hear or read about APPs being called servomechs, or vice-versa.  The terms are not therefore interchangeable.  Meanwhile, Mechs is used to refer to both.  That's my opinion, anyway.

Shadowen link said:
I'm currently trying to compose a new article for the series as a whole.  The meat of it is the story/setting, which is largely just Dr. Ethan R. Singh's \"The Rise of the World Economic Consortium\" reworded, at the moment, with a final paragraph about the Silencer's defection.

The main series article? I think a 'story' part of the main series article should be a summarization of the two games only... separately, not together, and not really with the fiction documents...

Shadowen link said:
I have a very basic description of No Remorse and No Regret, and the beginning of something on future/cancelled games, which will require that infamous multiplayer screenshot.

Shadowen link said:
Also, a belated return on Servomechs: servomechs are utility mechs.  The servomechs encountered are specifically called armed servomechs because they have weaponry as an addition to their utilitarian functions.  Combat mechs are called anti-personnel platforms (hence APP).  You never hear or read about APPs being called servomechs, or vice-versa.  The terms are not therefore interchangeable.  Meanwhile, Mechs is used to refer to both.  That's my opinion, anyway.

I agree.

Back