What would it cost to buy Crusader?

Draygan

As in, buying the rights to No Remorse and No Regret? I really wonder what Origin would ask... has anyone ever done it? I know I've fantasized about buying the complete rights to all source code, artwork, and future sequels, and turning the games into a project for Doom-style source ports.

No one is quite sure of the cost, unfortunately. I wouldn't think it'd be extremely high, maybe moderately.

I have no idea how much the rights cost for a mildly-successful game/series would be, so I'm not sure.

i guess you need to talk with Electronic Arts. This company is a holder of all Origin's rights. Why? The answer is simple - EA bought Origin and all rights to its games. Actualy there is no Origin anymore. Only a small devision (maybe 10-15 people) who keep Ultima Online running. that's about it.

As for the price... hmm... i'm not sure. I guess if you want to buy a source code of old crusader games it shouldn't be too high. the price should be moderate and under $1000 maybe. But it's difficult to predict. But if you want to buy the rights for the franchise CRUSADER... ohh well here the price could be under $10000 or something.

Wow... that is much, much cheaper than I anticipated. Is it your experience in the software industry that makes you think the price will be that low? You have me thinking very seriously about this. I'd like to know as much as possible before contacting anyone at EA.

I have a friend working at a game studio in the Czech Republic that has talked with EA about purchasing the Crusader rights, I haven't heard the outcome though.

Keenan Weaver link said:
I have a friend working at a game studio in the Czech Republic that has talked with EA about purchasing the Crusader rights, I haven't heard the outcome though.

ask him for the average price to buy the rights they were aiming for. Or at least what does this guy think, how much the price could be.

As for me, well it's just my imagination. I never tried to buy the rights, so i'm a newbie in this field of game development ;)

Yes, please ask your friend! And if he is still talking to them... I would really like to buy the rights but have no intention to bid against anyone.

It's hard to tell if EA is going to remake those games for PSP, like Wing Commander, since PSP has become a platform flooded with PS/PS2 remakes.

EA Replay 2 is in development right now. Crusader PSX/Saturn would be a perfect candidate for it.

"Failed" franchises generally sell for less than one would expect.  Just as an example, imaigne what it would cost to buy X-Men.  Not the whole thing, just the right to produce comics based on the characters.  Yeah.

On the other hand: when Chaos! Comics folded, though it had been moderately successful in the mid-to-late '90s, I believe the most popular of its properties (Lady Death) went for about $10k.  Don't quote me on that.

Back