video flickering - no regret

emuka

could someone tell me why are all the videos flickering in no regret ?
i don't know how to fix this.
(using dosbox 0.65; i could play no remorse with no prob at all)
thanks !

Turn up the cycles (CTRL-F12). Don't go too high though, that'll make it slower.

Keenan Weaver link said:
Turn up the cycles (CTRL-F12). Don't go too high though, that'll make it slower.

Well, I don't know if that helps, I tried this already.
(20000 cycles on a dual core intel with 2 gigs of ram, and still not good, nothing changes)
By videos I meant like the opening movie.
The video and the sound flickers :(

DOS Box isn't perfect yet... Eventually, they'll make it tons better to where video doesn't flicker, but for now, that happens to alot of people. There's not much you can do.

Cyberion link said:
what type of video card and sound card you have there mate?

I have an Ati X1600 with 512 Ram and a Realtek sound card (I had no prob in No Remorse though)

hmmm this is really strange indeed. I would assume that it's DosBox problem. It fails to performe No Regret without any flickering on your system. I guess there is no other way, than to wait when dosBox will go finale, lol.

Noone else had this problem , just me ?

Because in that case the problem msut be somewhere in my system/configuration.
Could someone send me the configuration file from DOSBox ?
I could compare it with mine.
Thanks !

emuka0@gmail.com

emuka link said:
Noone else had this problem , just me ?

Because in that case the problem msut be somewhere in my system/configuration.
Could someone send me the configuration file from DOSBox ?
I could compare it with mine.
Thanks !

emuka0@gmail.com
I have similar system as yours (Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, Radeon 1600 etc.) but the same problems:

No REMORSE works fine - video, sound everything
No Regret mostly runs OK - EXCEPT the videos!

Kinda frustrating!!!

QUESTION: I have an original Win 95 CD. Would it help if I booted through Win 95 and created a "shortcut" with the original Crusader autorun/install program?

cheers,

Ok --- I just *bumped* the 'environment cycles' to 39000 in D-Fend and it took care of the MAJOR video glitches!

Still needs some minor tweaking - but THIS I suppose depends on system to system!

The GOOD news, I suppose - is that D_Fend is NOT limited to 20,000 cycles!  ;D

Woot!,
Roy

Sgt.Rico link said:
Ok --- I just *bumped* the 'environment cycles' to 39000 in D-Fend and it took care of the MAJOR video glitches!

Still needs some minor tweaking - but THIS I suppose depends on system to system!

The GOOD news, I suppose - is that D_Fend is NOT limited to 20,000 cycles!  ;D

Woot!,
Roy

ohh nice find mate ;)

D-Fend is a good front-end for DOSBox. However, it's more flexible to edit the dosbox.conf yourself, since there is already enough explanation in dosbox.conf.

For the video thing, probably it's about the core and the output, or further, your video driver. Driver is the bane of ATI cards. It's no telling which is which, you have to experiment yourself.

As you have a fast machine and powerful GPU, you may want to give the DOSBox CVS builds a shot. There are a lot of bug fixes and enhancement added since the release of 0.65. The status of playing No Regret in DOSBox on my machine is upgraded from "slideshow" to "barely playable" after I started to use CVS builds recently.

There is one more option "AUTO" for the core and the cycle part, you don't have to bother with the performance thing. All are self-determined. For output, surface seems to be the most stable(and default) method of output. You may also try overlay or ddraw in 0.65, and openglhq or direct3d for high quality video in CVS.

D-fend does not cover the options added in CVS yet, so I edit the confs myself, and use D-fend as a multi-profile launcher.

I was about to open a thread on the matter myself, but it seems I'm not the only one with this problem.

I started using Crusader games under DOSBox with the 0.63 release and noticed that No Remorse performed almost flawlessly, on the other hand No Regret worked fine except the videos which were garbled and impossible to watch.

Back then I was sure it was trouble with DOSBox, but I couldn't run faster than 14000 cycles or my poor Athlon 2500+ would perform real bad. I've just reinstalled No Remorse on my newer machine (x64 3200+) and I'm running at 20000 cycles; haven't tried No Regret, so I don't know if switching CPU and video card will help.

I haven't tried with DOSBox 0.65 nor D-Fend or the CVS builds as well, but I have to say I'm quite intrigued by these CVS builds. I've got to check into this matter...

BTW, I was wondering if anyone has tried Crusader games with VDMSOUND. I've got it on my system, but haven't tried Crusader, since I knew it worked fine with DOSBox. Still, this Vdmsound allowed me to play (almost) flawlessly other old DOS games such as Wolf3d or Monolith's Blood, so it may be worth a try. I'll let you know about this...

Definitely get 0.65, Berserker. It's really A LOT better than 0.63.

I haven't tried using VDMSOUND yet.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've just downloaded 0.65. I've also found a pre-compiled CVS executable, so I'll try this one as well to see how it performs with No Regret's videos.

Still have to do that test with VDMSOUND, hadn't time yesterday. Maybe I'll try later: I need to flex my fingers and shooting some Stormtroopers with my SG-A1 might just be what I need! ;)

I thought about using 0.65 to capture every cutscene in both games. A large task to undertake.

Keenan Weaver link said:
I thought about using 0.65 to capture every cutscene in both games. A large task to undertake.

I doubt that DOSBox can playback those video correctly. That is, as little loss of quality as possible. And decode - scaler(or whatever video enhancement you like) - encode - write to disk, this could be a lengthy process.
Regrettably there is only WC Player for Wing Commander.
Maybe we can use a brutal way of connecting the video-out to some video capture card or VCR, then go post-processing.

OR we can get our hands on the VHS tapes with the original videos on it.

(Sorry about that, I accidentally clicked on 'modify'  :p)

BTW, I've tried using Vdmsound to run Crusader: No Remorse, but it didn't work. I got a "fatal error" from the game, followed by a nice string of cryptic code... I'll try to mess with the program's options and see if there's a newer version, but I believe Vdmsound cannot run Crusader games. :(

Back