No Regret The one thing No Remorse had you wish No Regret had?

Shadowen

What did you miss from No Remorse in No Regret?

For me, it was the intrigue.  "Who's the mole?"  "Brooks."  "No wai!"  Etc.

I missed the large base from No Remorse. The Resistance camp in No Regret was hardly a base. I loved the 'interaction' you could have in No Remorse. The 'kill board' was also nice, though my kill board in No Remorse was bugged. It counted all Stormtroopers as Guards, so my Stormtrooper count was always 0 and the Guards count pretty high in the end.

Shadowen link said:
What did you miss from No Remorse in No Regret?

For me, it was the intrigue.  \"Who's the mole?\"  \"Brooks.\"  \"No wait!\"  Etc.

Oh, I agree totally!
While seeing Ely again was great, Sekada was a poor "replacement" for Sgt. Brooks. There was such a wealth of intricate storylines in 'Regret' and there was technically just Draygan (and Leach) to strive against in 'Remorse'. Oh, well...*sigh*...

That said, you had to love the forward roll ability in 'Remorse'. Got my butt out of many a pickle!

Kestral

As the WomenGamers.com review says, No Remorse is like a good book, you keep reading it over and over. I think No Regret doesn't have the same quality as No Remorse does. However, it still is a great game.

Shadowen link said:
For me, it was the intrigue.  \"Who's the mole?\"  \"Brooks.\"  \"No wai!\"  Etc.

I agree too !...

And another thing that I miss in No Regret is handguns !... Where is my PA-21 ? :'(

I don't know exactly how to tell, but somehow I liked more the No Remorse colours and enviroment. Maybe because it was more "Earth-like".

Yeah, definitely. The colors in No Remorse were tons better... No Regret has this "crystal clear"-like look, which I'm not that fond of.

Robotophe link said:
[quote author=Shadowen link=topic=36.msg157#msg157 date=1146359929]
For me, it was the intrigue.  \"Who's the mole?\"  \"Brooks.\"  \"No wai!\"  Etc.

I agree too !...

And another thing that I miss in No Regret is handguns !... Where is my PA-21 ? :'(
[/quote]

Neat graphical Easter Egg in No Regret is that the Silencer still has the pistol on his hip.  And when he backs up, no matter what weapon he's holding, it flickers.

Keenan Weaver link said:
Yeah, definitely. The colors in No Remorse were tons better... No Regret has this \"crystal clear\"-like look, which I'm not that fond of.

I dunno.

I thought the colour and scenery were far better in No Regret.  Especially in the offices and such.  In mission 9 of No Remorse, for example, except for a few props and character models in the main room itself, there's really not much that distinguishes a freaking Senatorial building from anywhere else in the game.  On the other hand, in No Regret, you can usually tell what mission you're on, or at least where you are in the gameworld, even if you don't recognize that particular point--just by the scenery.  The mines are pretty distinctive, for example, and there's no mistaking the colours and design of the first and last missions.

Meanwhile, the additional artwork, carpeting, trim, etc., all go a long way to making it more distinctive.

Level design between the two is pretty much the same for logic and complexity.

But No Regret was...kind of...well, I dunno.  Weak, maybe?  Not weak; it was more difficult than No Remorse.  It was somewhere between an expansion pack and a sequel.  It was too complete to be an XP, and the updates and improvements were not enough to make it II (unless your producer is Eidos and your name rhymes with Tara Loft).  I think that was the real problem with No Regret.  It was in limbo.  It wasn't even the unloved middle child (The Two Towers).  It was just...there.

Well, yeah, on a technical basis, No Regret's textures/colors were very distinct and much better than No Remorse's; however, I think they were used more effectively in No Remorse. The look of Mission 2, which is used several times over, was perfectly constructed, in my opinion.

645626.jpg

That look is what I'm talking about... Maybe it's just a weird thing I developed when I was little playing the game and I now have a life-long love for it or something... but I think that's awesome.

Mission 9 is my most favorite mission in both Crusader games.

I agree about No Regret. Some people say it's the better of the two games, but I disagree. I know it had its moments and all, but it just didn't feel as "complete" as No Remorse, which you were stating.

Well, No Regret added some nice touches to the gameplay that were not present in No Remorse: the ability for the Silencer to roll forward, a graphicl effect for shielding deactivating on turrets and their likes and also some better adjustment to weapons' damage (I remeber seeing Enforcers survive direct GL-303 hits in No Remorse). Loved also those "datapick" tools.

Other than that  liked better the fact the Silencer could carry only 5 weapons, also I missed the pistols too! No Remorse had a more intricate plot which was good and the larger Resistance base on Earth was very nice, considering there were more characters to talk to (usually) than in No Regret. Still the fact the Resistance Moon base is so small and limited could (storywise) make sense: I wouldn't expect the Resistance could have a very large hideout on the Moon without making WEC security discover it; a small base is more likely to remain hidden.

The Rebel Base in No Remorse is probably my favorite location in any game ever made. When I was young, after each mission I would "pretend to live" in the Rebel Base. I would watch the news, then watch every clip (except Ely's), then make up my own dialogue for the non-talking NPCs. I also did a perimeter sweep each time, I'd stand guard in front of the teleporter and such. After that, I'd go to my bunk and "sleep". Then I'd get the next objective.

Also, the e-mails in the PSX version of No Remorse were really, really cool.

Yeah, the base was one of my fav places too! :) I always spent as much time as possible there before going in into the next mission: usually I'd drop in the health chamber/battery charge station section, then check the tv at the bar and talk with the guys there. A visit to Weasel and then a check at the mailbox and killboard. I also visited the Silencer's bunk to drop any weapon I didn't need anymore or pickup one I thought I might need.

BTW, now that I think of it, the one thing I absolutely missed in No Regret that was available in No Remorse was... well, documentation! I had a friend who bought No Remorse for me in the USA and the box was filled with posters, manuals and a lot of docs as in the tradition of Origin games. Once No Regret came out I bought it at a retail store in my country: unfortunately the local distributor decided to release only the installation guide and the controls ref card and no more... :(

Well, at least this site will have all the documents for download.

(Cyb, put my scans into the site!)

Back