No Regret So how much time did No Regret take, anyway?

Shadowen

As far as I can tell, No Remorse, from the opening movie, had a span of about six months.  This is going by the opening movies of both; No Remorse says it's March, No Regret says September.  (Or, more accurately, 3.96 and 9.96.)

No Regret, however...it starts out 48 hours after the destruction of the Vigilance Platform.  He's drifting in a cramped and otherwise empty lifepod and asleep.

So he hasn't eaten since the Vigilance mission started.  He's been sleeping, meditating, hibernating, or just out cold for 48 hours.  He then proceeds to fight his way through a guarded ship and destroy it; through unfamiliar, maze-like mines; and through a small office builidng.  The first three missions of the game probably take about 10 hours of game time, all told.  That's at least 58 hours, plus, say, an hour or two for the last two missions of No Remorse.  60 hours.  Two and a half days straight without even missing a step.  And that, I think, is being conservative on the time estimate.

Any amount of time can take place between mission 3 (Trojan Horse the Tubeway Guidance System) and mission 4 (accessing the terminal to find, among others, Torch).  Mission 4 didn't take that long for me; I'd say two hours of game time.  Mission 5 (rescue Ely and Sekada) probably takes place soon thereafter; no need to let Ely languish any longer than normal, and it avoids the possibility of execution, as well.  Mission 5 was very brief for me; maybe an hour and a half, two hours if he's finding all the hidden guns.  And in mission 5, there were a lot.

Mission 6 (blow an ore separator) takes place immediately after mission 5.  That probably takes about four hours.  (I seem to remember that mission being unusually long.)  Mission 7 is planned, executed, and probably completed within an hour after Silencer gets back from mission 6.  Mission 8 is also an immediate follow-up, and probably only takes two or three hours.  Mission 9 also follows immediately from 8, and is fifteen minutes to the climax, and not much longer finishing it.  Mission 10 takes, maybe, six hours of game time?  And then, game over.

Given Silencer one day to rest and eat between 3 and 4 and one day to rest and between 4 and 5, and No Regret is finished in  two days + 60 hours + 18.25 hours.  All told, 126.25 hours, less than six days.

I just hope that, to give poor Silencer a break, No Mercy was intended as an extended campaign, say more than a year long.

Interesting! It's sad I never really got into doing stuff just like that.

About No Remorse --- I'd think the time span for that was pretty long...I'd say 1-2 months, but I'm still uncertain.

2196.2 (February) from the No Remorse intro, and 2196.9 from the No Regret intro.  My mistake.

Also, mission 9 takes a little longer than expected--maybe another hour onto the total time.

hmmm interesting survey.

Maybe cause they are GEed, the Silencers do not need to eat that much like the normal humans do. I guess their metabolism is much higher and their hunger sense is low. That's why they can live without sleep that long without being tied. Though it's my logical guess.

I read a Star Wars novel where one species had an interesting ability--they could "store" sleep for when they needed it, and didn't really sleep in the traditional sense anyway.  Maybe it works something like that.

Shadowen link said:
So he hasn't eaten since the Vigilance mission started. 

That is not for certain. He escaped in a rescue pod. It's likely to assume that such pods hold some emergency rations. What good does a rescue pod do when you starve to death before being rescued?

There's many possible theories that work.

1) Trained to survive on low food consumption.
2) Food in the pod.
3) His Silencer suit comes equipped with endless supplies of Kool-Aid and peanut butter sandwiches.

I think that Silencers would prefer to exchange supplies for extra ammo. It wouldn't be too far-fetched to think that Silencers can do with less food than regular soldiers since they are top-of-the-shelf soldiers. Certainly a Silencer can hold out for 48 hours in a life-pod, which will hold supplies in my eyes.

The Silencer link said:
[quote author=Shadowen link=topic=30.msg112#msg112 date=1143880543]
So he hasn't eaten since the Vigilance mission started. 

That is not for certain. He escaped in a rescue pod. It's likely to assume that such pods hold some emergency rations. What good does a rescue pod do when you starve to death before being rescued?
[/quote]

Did you hear the guys at the beginning of No Regret?

"Lifepod!  Nothin' can survive for very long in one of those."  That indicates to me there isn't even water aboard.  It's the WEC's standard disregard for life.

Back