Status = Work in progress

Model Pictures:

WIP status 1:

:)

RP-32 ?Pacifist? Semiautomatic Assault Rifle .30

Reference Image

Poly Count = 1606
Triple Polys = 3926
Status = Mesh done, UV-Map done, simple texture done, View animation in progress

Model Pictures

SG-A1 ?Conformer? Shotgun

Reference Image

Triple Polys = 3800
Status = Mesh done, UV-Map done, simple texture done, View animation in progress

Model Pictures

good models Aby, but poly count is WOW! I mean so high. It's the poly count oа major character models in Half-Life, very high.

I mean in performance sense it's very demanding.

So far this could be used, but in a long term those models will have to be remodeled to have less polies. I think 2000 is a good amount for weapons to be quite detailed.

However it could be discussed on a later stage. But from my modding experience this number is quite high. So far let's leave it as it is, but keep in mind, try to concentrate on low poly count. That's the main pain in the butt when modeling for games, you need to think mesh wise.

A lot of rounded edges could be smoothed by using Smooth function and not geometry, this will cut polies in most cases almost by half.

Here is a useful link, explaining low-poly modeling
http://www.dccdesigner.com/Htm/Tutorials/LPM_1.htm

and here is quote from my FAQ:
So something around 200-1000 is a very good number for static objects and 3000-5000 for a character

So think in those numbers. As weapon is going to be in hands, so it will be quite close to the player, it could be a bit more detailed than simple static object. So that is why I think it's number should go above 1000 polies for sure but not much higher than 2000 polies and I speak here about Triple Poligons of course. So let's say for weapon we are aming at 1000-2500. Those should be limits in our case.

Looks like the project is coming along pretty good.

Nice model work so far I like it  :)

And about the polycount...I wouldn't worry about that, I think HL2 should handle that easily I mean my Halflife 1 uses a lot of custom character and weapon models with over 2500 polygons and I still have a good frame rate so hl2 should have no problem.

The game splits the polygons in two parts anyway, world and model/entity polygons and the model polygon limit is much higher than the world poly limit ;)

Still we should keep our workflow as professional as we can. almost 4k of polies is very very high for a simple simple static object.

Do not forget guys, it's better to work smart from the very begginging than redo everything at the last stage.

That's the main trouble of modeling, we need to model, good nice shaped model and model it with minimum of polies as we can.

I usually start with a high polygon count and then try to reduce it.

Those here are supposed to be viewmodels.
That means i can cut away the polygons which will not appear in the final animation, so i think i'll end up with 1500-2000.

And the worldmodels will use far less polys. Around 800 should do the trick.
Lightwave's reducePoly+ can help a lot as long as the mesh isn't to complex.

Abyssary link said:
I usually start with a high polygon count and then try to reduce it.

Those here are supposed to be viewmodels.
That means i can cut away the polygons which will not appear in the final animation, so i think i'll end up with 1500-2000.

And the worldmodels will use far less polys. Around 800 should do the trick.
Lightwave's reducePoly+ can help a lot as long as the mesh isn't to complex.

Great bro, great ;)

Back