Origin Museum's Remains

Keenan

Administrator
Staff member
Joe Garrity's Origin Museum recently closed down after many years of service, and I was deeply saddened by this. I can only hope that everything goes well for Joe in his future travels. Good luck, Joe!

Despite the sad news, I have found some interesting stuff in the remains of the OM... A jacket and a series of papers. Take a look:

Apparently, this is a jacket used in one of the Crusader games' FMV cutscenes; however, I have no idea where in either game it's from... It looks like a Resistance jacket to me. If you recognize it, please post a message in the comments thread for this news update (located below).

Now this piece is a real beauty, it looks like letters sent in circulation for the development team to read, about what they should do for the game, which I'm assuming is No Remorse. Since the picture isn't zoomed in on the papers,  you can barely make out what it says, but there are some words in there that I can see, and it's very interesting stuff!

You can check out my Crusader memorabilia in this thread at the board.

I think that may be the jacket worn by those LMC guards in No Regret, with most of its features hidden under the body armor.

P.S. Although Chairman Draygan ordered a squadron of Enforcers dispatched to the moon, it was the  Headquarters Elite Guards leading the assault against the DarkSide Base. A little disappointment for not being able to see Enforcers in action.

About the letter, look at the letter on top on the right and look at the date. If I squint my eyes I think the last number of year is 7, so I think this letter dates from 1997, that would make the letters post-Regret. They could involve the canceled secret. A thing that indicates it's definitely post-Remorse and possible post-Regret is the little in the lower middle. A paragraph at the bottom reads "There also going to be a new rebel base, right? Since old base and Silencer's entire unit was discovered and demolished in original game."

So it's definitely past No Remorse and also possible past No Remorse, since No Regret features on the moon it has to have a new rebel base. I haven't tried to read that entire letter (it's the only one being a bit readable) but I plan to decipher at least that letter once.

Hail zooming. The bottom letter reads as follows:

Silencer could also add some weapon for hand-to-hand combat like a knife to his arsenal in case he manages to sneak up behind the guards. No need to waste ammo! It shouldn't be tried on the mechs though...

Toxic waste Silencer occassionally falls into or gets blown into shouldn't always be fatal. At some points of the game it could be shallow enough to be considered just another hazard to take a chunk out of Silencer's health. In fact it could be another obstacle on the way to cmplete the mission. The challenge here would be to save up enough health and to cross the pool of waste without dying in the process.

A level of pure mindless destruction could also be thrown in, as Resistance hackers rewire a big servomech and let Silencer, a certified class 2 servomech operator, to march it through the Military Operations Cartel troops' Barracks or Vetron Factory till there is nothing left there or till WEC troops finally take that mech down.

Althought solo missions suit the soldier of Silencer's caliber, I think that there wasn't enough interaction between Silencer and the rest of the rebels on location. Through the entire game there was just four or five telecommunications between Silencer, Brooks, Andrews and Nicholas. And Silencer never ran across them in the coarse of the mission. He should occasionally bump into a rebel waiting for SIlencer with a slavaged keycard he was looking for, or simply rewiring the teleporters or retrieving classified information from the main computer before Silencer blows the whole place up. So Silencer should watch what he is shooting at. Otherwise he might never get out of there. There could be conversations like: \"Hurry up and finish your job so we an get out of here. We don't have the whole day.\"  or \"I have to rewire this teleporter. Wait, it will only take a minute\", or \"We are under attack...Central is pulling us out...You are on your own\".

Silencer should also be able to talk to rebel guards and soldiers back at the Rebel Base. Just a little conversation like \"I heard about your last mission. Good job!\" or \"I hope they'd fix that V-Mail station already!\" Just basic stuff.

There is also going to be a new Rebel Base, right? Since the old base and Silencer's entire unit was discovered and demolished in original game. (added in handwriting to the left: \"Brooks and Maxis are back, right?\")

There could be a little surprise added as after a completed mission SIlencer, by hacker's mistake, is transported to some weird location. The misake is immediately corrected, but the player, who's mind is alread set to see Rebel Base teleport room, suddenly finds himself in the hangar full of Vetrons and Solartrons or in the Silencer Corps 22nd Division dining room at dinner time. Thankfully at the next moment he <..> the Rebel Base. This twist would probably give the

The <..> are some words that fell of the screenshot and "give the" are the final words on the page. The upper right letter is too unclear for me, but I might give the upper left letter a shot.

The upper left document is part of a letter adressed to Mark Vittek. Quality Assurance, Origin Systems, Inc.

Dear Sir,

There are some engine glitches in Ultima VII--serious enough to shut down the play altogether. WHen Ultimva V fell apart on me, I <..> mailed back my game disk and you fixed it for me. Now that this game is so massive, I didn't know what to do, so I'm returning the originals in hope that you can repair or replace.

This means, of course, that I'll have to begin again after at least forty horus of play. It doesn't make me happy. But I'm not an upset as I might to because Ultima VII is such an ahievement. It's not hard to understand new glitches got by. Nevertheless, maybe you should rethink your quality assurance techniques. If your testers just follow the story line, they should become more inventive like real gamers, and then maybe  they'd catch the troubles more readily.

I went up to the north side of Serpent's Spine looking for the flying carpet. On the way back down the road to the west of Britain, a lone, thin latitude of scenery detached itself from the its proper place and started functioning like an underline to the characters. When that happened, they started moving on their own with amazing speed, down, down the path until they crashed into a mountain side. THere the scenery slice seemed to lose its forward momentum. At that moment they were attacked by roaming fighters. No return attack was possible, however, since the mouse pointer flew wildly about the screen and the green arrow refused to turn red. At this point, the whole game froze.

The second problem was equally frustrating. I was leaving the Empath Abbey region heading for Bee Cave. I took the most direct route through the trees. I tried different paths, but none of them worked. The game froze three times. Finally I went down by the road, and managed to meet th ranger and enter the cave. But the Bee Cave is not <...> Once into the darkness, the torch, although still burning, ceased to shed any light. Then whatever movements I made (and I tried this several times) the cave just broke up into garbage withbig blocks of unrelated scenery like pieces of outside mountain tops and unrelated bits of tunnel and black patches. Again, the game froze before I had been inside

Back