No Regret Much harder and more unfair?

Caine

Hello to all Crusader fans !

I've been a fan since it was released but somehow didnt play no regret all these years and finally made it ! well but i'm really a bit disappointed, which i dont want to as i love crusader no remorse and everything.
my complaints are:

- weaker presentation, videos etc.
- no buy options anymore (ok they werent so great but still cool)
- the levels seem to be MUCH MORE unfair, everywhere traps, harder troops, less health/energy stations, less medkits and so on.

i play the same difficulty (the one before the last !) and i had no real problems in no remorse only the last 2-3 levels were a bit harder but here it starts with the second or 3rd level, it's mostly quick save, quick load, the enemies are spawning like hell and pop in (i didnt saw that in no remorse, they teleported in when there was a teleporter but here i saw them pipping in on screen.) always black guards and so on.

hmmmpf i'm somehow disappointed :/

am i too stupid or is this game really more unfair with hidden traps, buttons arent really visible at some angles (you could saw them in no remorse qithout probs.).

Actually I kinda thought No Remorse difficulty was harder then No Regret difficulty.

Because in crusader no remorse the enemies are much harder to kill they just have a damn lot of healthpoints (especially enforcers and vetrons) Also you get the good shields and batteries very late ingame.

In No Regret the enemies die much quicker and you can roll faster+forward roll,  also you have new toys like spider mines, mine destroyers, infrared vision and jammers for the teleporters. All that make things a lot easier

No Regret has more traps but if you look around carefully you can get past them pretty easy or without major problems at least  :p

However I love both games and both games give you a nice challenge  :mask:

From certain point of views No Regret might seem harder to play: there are more traps and enemy troops sometimes just "spawn in" rather than teleporting (this happened in No Remorse as well, but rarely).

On the other hand, as already pointed out by Lt.JC, you get faster rolls and the fwd-roll move for the Silencer and also get some neat inventory items that really help you out.

When I have my runs through No regret I tend to get killed with lots of quickloads on mission 2, then things gets better through missions 3-4 once I can lay my dirty, bloodstained Silencer hands on a plasma shield and an AC-88! :)

All in all No Regret is relatively well balanced, you just have to get used to the extra-traps, extra-enemies.

thanks mates, well i played it a bit further but somehow i dont like to quickload & quicksave so much anymore and still think it's too unfair after a few more hours :(
i like no remorse a bit better but no regret is great too but yeah you know my opinion ;).

I played No Regret first and found No Remorse relatively easy when I played it. When playing No Regret, carefully watch your environment. As said, you can often spot traps. Pressure pads on the floor are slightly off and can be identified. The Cametrons can also be spotted (as shield generator they aren't aligned with the rest, their placing is off, they use a special box art and when disguised as a dispenser the light won't flicker as it does on normal dispensers, same with a computer terminal, lights wont blink). Mines in the floors can be spotted as well and you can spot infrared beams without a VIR imager (though sometimes the emitter is concealed, blowing up everything usually helps to find them).

You are also compensated bye the fact you now can find datapicks (electronic lockpicks). If you really get stuck before a door because you can't get the terminal opened or not have the correct keycard, you can use them to advance nonetheless (though I can proud myself that I have played through the game on all difficulties without using any picks).

Just keep trying and learn to identify traps and you'll be fine. As for spawning enemies, ROLL. When they fire, duck and roll away. They always aim for your chest, so when they fire and you, they will miss (of course the next one will hit if you don't get out of the way). Keep low and roll to avoid those rocket grenades.

No Regret is a layered deathtrap, no denying that.

I think the videos are in fact better--better acting, certainly, and higher production values.

The lack of a mercantile option, in my opinion, is made up for by allowing you to carry all the weapons at once.

To be honest, I liked the fact that you could carry only five weapons in No Remorse, it made you consider and think what weapons you really needed on a mission...though in the end I always ended up with the RP-32, AC-88, GL-303- AR-7 and UV-9. Come to think of it, it might be a nice challenge to play the game with a different set of weapons. I think I'll leave the rocket launchers and UV-9 be. EM-4 against mechs will compensate for that...Enforcers just might be a problem if I leave the AC-88 at home as well.

Btw, as I started a new playthrough of No Regret in "Loose Cannon" difficulty, I suddenly had ammo problems from mid level 2 to around the end of level 3. I started running real low on RP-32 and SG-A1/AC-88 ammo to a point where I was down to my last clip in the shotgun and just one spare clip for the RP-32. Luckily I came across a few guards that yielded shotgun clips (three shots, three clips, not bad). I never had such problems in No Remorse as far as I can remember. No Regret definitely seems tougher, but I liked it, it was a real challenge, even though the suddenly appearing enemies in your back could be a major frustration at times (especially on No Regret difficulty where Guards use PA-31's and Stormtroopers and onwards use grenade launchers!).

Since I played the games first time through in No Remorse/No Regret difficulty, I never used another one again.

It can be frustrating at times but it is just so much fun being challenged by the game. Adrenaline always pumps up for me if I dodge a rocket in the last second  :D

But I never ran low on ammo, how did you manage that? The lowest ammo count I had was maybe 5 clips left or something but most of the guards and troopers have RP-32 and shotgun ammo  :)

I never had any ammo problems in No Remorse/Regret mode, just Loose Cannon as it has the lowest drop rate of ammo clips by slain foes and the foes are pretty hard already. The drop rate in No Remorse/Regret mode is actually higher, because "you will need it" according to the strategy guide...and they are correct. The first two modes are very easy and I never run out of ammo there, but Loose Cannon (at least in No Regret) seems to have such a balance that at the start of the game, you need to be careful with the ammo you expend.

Back