Just a teaser for what I'm working on

Candy

This is the editor. Colors are messed up; they're for testing the normals. This should be reminiscent of the startup area of Crusader:No Remorse.

Compel-X link said:
Impressive, if I do say so. Are you creating objects for a 3d engine?

That, and the 3d engine, plus accompanying editor. I got a bit tired of making the level in a text editor (although this all has been placed in a text editor with manual calculations) since you keep making off-by-just-a-bit errors. See also the pipe segments; the corner segment is the wrong way around.

I recently reimplemented the 3d engine allowing for a lot more and cooler effects. In a technical sense, I'm now using OpenGL 3.3 and I can now use everything your graphics card has to offer :). That also means you need a GeForce 8 or higher, or a Radeon 2000 or higher. I'm not using the newest tricks (from directx 11 / opengl 4) yet, but it's now very easy to start using them. I've already had a particle engine with a million particles running in realtime. I intend to use that for some effects :). I have a screenshot of what that looks like with 450000, but that's not crusader related so I'll leave those to me until they are.

Is OpenGL the way to go now at least for startup projects? I see a crap load of projects, especially open-source that shift in that direction, like warzone 2000 port for ubuntu. Whats your goal with this project? Create a full game engine? Very interesting!

ooo Candy not bad I must say. Keep it up. Looks very impressive so far.

But why don't we concentrte on one project? More power, more result.  8)

Cyberion link said:
ooo Candy not bad I must say. Keep it up. Looks very impressive so far.

But why don't we concentrte on one project? More power, more result.  8)

The first time I checked, you were doing a No Regret remake in Half-life IIRC. The second time, it was called No Hope with a different idea. The third time it was No Vindication. I don't stop working on this engine until it works - have been working on it since before I knew about the No Regret remake.

If you're interested, many things have started working, including underlying techs to make it possible:
- Background music
- Sound effects, distance attenuated (but not yet doppler shifted)
- Good graphics, limited mostly by my modeling experience
- Physics, including explosions
- Air simulation in 3d
- Particle system handling a million particles on a previous-generation non-topoftherange laptop card
- Behaviours; the fan in the picture rotates live in the game.

I'm not just starting this. I'm also not intending to change easily; if I had I woulnd't have come this far.

Much work has been poured into this it seems - I say have at it Candy. I think we would appreciate your input on our project though if you have the time.

No regret (HL Mod) is not my idea, it's Jupix's and I was helping him. Same with No Vindication. I'm helping Ryan as much as I can.

My and Keenan's project is No Hope and it was the first one as far as I know from all Crusader fan-made games. ;) It's an adventure game and it was put on hold as we lacked the programmer. I was unable to programm everythign alone as I'm not that good at coding. However No Hope has almost every background ready. What it lacks - Character Sprites (3 chars need to be done) and of course the coding part. In other words if there is a person to programm the game will be ready in about a month. Cause everything else is already done ;)

So we stoped working on it, cause we had no other option. Thus it is on hold state and not cancelled as I'm hoping that one day there will be a person who will gladly help in finishing this stuff.

Ready mate, kinda hurted when you said about changing easily.

No regret (HL Mod) is not my idea, it's Jupix's and I was helping him. Same with No Vindication. I'm helping Ryan as much as I can.
Ah... didn't know that. I thought it was mostly "the community" heading in one and then in another direction; it looked kind of odd if you didn't realise the actual setup.
My and Keenan's project is No Hope and it was the first one as far as I know from all Crusader fan-made games. ;) It's an adventure game and it was put on hold as we lacked the programmer. I was unable to programm everythign alone as I'm not that good at coding. However No Hope has almost every background ready. What it lacks - Character Sprites (3 chars need to be done) and of course the coding part. In other words if there is a person to programm the game will be ready in about a month. Cause everything else is already done ;)

So we stoped working on it, cause we had no other option. Thus it is on hold state and not cancelled as I'm hoping that one day there will be a person who will gladly help in finishing this stuff.
Aah... it's a 2d game, isn't it? I'm pretty bad at 2d logic; I much prefer 3d. Lots simpler :)
Ready mate, kinda hurted when you said about changing easily.
Sorry about that, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I'm still hoping to get somewhere with the game; the editor is starting to take the shape of an actual workable thing. Just need to be able to turn off gravity for editing; it keeps affecting objects even while you're holding on to them.

No problem mate. Just wanted to clear the things out. I have a strong believe in Crunovin and I would like to see your project also being developed. So keep it up and do not forget about the news ;)

As always, slow.

Most recent progress is:
- The editor allows you to edit the level too now. You can select stuff, move it, rotate it, duplicate it. Not place new yet; that's a TBD.
- The stuff you edit is saved & used the next time you open the level.
- The normals are correct now :) - there's also a bit of other graphics-work in there but not that much.

Working on loading the original crusader levels now. First steps include loading the globs.flx file and then the actual levels. The Pentagram team have made some nice docs about it - I'm just implementing it :).

For actual game-look it's most important to find somebody who can make textures & related things (normal maps, parallax maps, models, UV unwraps, that kind of stuff). I'm okayish with making models but I totally suck at UV maps and texturing.

Compel-X link said:
Candy, how is this coming? Any updates :)

There's new shinies to admire!

screeniehq.png

And yes, all shadows are fully dynamic, all objects that should have gravity fall down (and bounce off one another) & there's even normal maps and specular maps (although I've disabled speculars for this screenie).

To keep the pace slightly up, here's my most recent messup. I was changing something fundamental-ish to be able to do effects & to see if I had wrecked the engine I set it to render normals only. Very shortly after, I found out that I had forgotten a slight detail:

normalshadows.png

Only the ambient light and SSAO is replaced by normals... the regular lights (and shadows!) are still working. The engine is working quite happily & modularly.

[edit] Now that I notice it, that small stream behind the boxes is a particle stream being updated on the GPU. The ball floating above it is supposed to be a uv-9 bullet that isn't doing what I want yet.

The special effects that I was trying to make in that movie now work, mostly. As special effects should be moving, here's a youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j442OTfSmM

For those without youtube or who want to see the 4th effect that didn't make it, here's an image showing them mid-animation. The first three are in that order in the video, the 4th is only here.
dissolves.png

From left to right (or start to finish), it's being hit by a UV-9, teleporting, being hit by a PL-1 (or EM-4, not sure yet which) and being hit by the LMG-something from No Regret. The last one I thought should turn you into liquid green goo, hence a dissolve from top to bottom (and when I get to doing that, goo forming where the object dissolved).

Those special effects don't affect the framerate at all. The overall framerate is currently about 15-20 on my laptop (GeForce 330M). Currently the biggest framerate eater is the shadows; if I disable those it's running at a solid 60fps. They completely re-render the entire world every frame, currently at 1024*1024, so they're the biggest reason it's slow. They still need work too - they're supposed to have soft edges. When they do, I can reduce the resolution (and increase the framerate) easily. Also, I can still move most of the static content onto a pre-generated shadowmap per light, that would save a bit of fillrate / rasterization time too.

It's still feature development, not optimization. I'll first get it working on both my computers (ATI and Nvidia cards) and then, when it's a playable game, make it fast. For now, count on needing a pretty fast card.

ohhh very, very nice Candy! This looks like candy ;) hehehehe

Btw are you using procedural textures for the barrel? I mean no image map, all computer generated? Would like to see some pre-alpha build and walk around. Looks so cool!

Back