No Remorse Just a bug in my copy, or an actual part of design?

Shadowen

So playing mission 4 of No Remorse this morning (destroy the comm array so that Resistance convoys can get into the city with supplies), I found out it was possible to get out of the mission without destroying the array.  Needless to say, I backed out, finished the mission, then came home again.

Upon arriving, I noticed something that bugged me the previous time.  Though I had previewed the movies as part of my research into the game (no video, only audio), I noticed that, again (I had seen this before), Yo-Yo's movie where he threatens you with pain if he finds out you had anything to do with Andrews' death was inaccessible in the bar.

Which led me to wonder: does he only appear when you fail the mission?  That would make a certain sense, but if so the designers missed out on a character opportunity for more than three-quarters of all games, I'd wager.

Re: Just a bug in my copy, or an actual part of design.

Yes, Yo-Yo's movie ONLY occurs when you fail that mission.

When you get back after failing that mission, Ely's talk with you is so powerful (it makes me feel like I failed it myself!) I can never watch it.

Are you sure? I'm fairly positive both Yo-Yo and Brooks have the same dialogue, no matter how you finish the mission, threatening you with pain and dead. Or at least still threaten to kill you but in a slightly different way, depending on the mission ending.

I'm pretty sure Yo-Yo's conversation only occurs if you fail it... I've played through No Remorse many, many times... and I never remember hearing Yo-Yo's conversation after that mission when succeeding. I'm pretty sure it only plays when you fail.

Brooks is the same both ways, but Yo-Yo only seems to be there when you fail.  Which makes little sense to me, as he doesn't like you any more or less at this point.

Oh, and though it doesn't capture the emotion the actor puts into it, this is Ely's speech when you screw up...

"So you couldn't take the heat, could you, Captain?  You took it upon yourself to pull out before the mission was complete!  Because of your lack of resolve, Andrews died in vain and thousand of people are gonna starve to death!  All of this because you took off with your tail between your legs when the going got a little rough!

Let me make sure you understand me this time, soldier.  If you ever--ever--disobey one of my orders again, I'll make sure, I'll make damn sure that you're transferred as far away from my unit as possible!  Do I make myself clear?

Now get out of my sight!"

That actor is Alex Morris. I'd like to be able to contact him... the same with the rest of the actors! I've only talked to Marco Perella and he couldn't remember much of the game, but he did say something cool.

"I remember they put olive oil on my ear so that ferret would lick it."

I actually found my old savegames (they still exist after all these years :)) and I actually had one at the mission ending of mission 4, without having destroyed the rader. So I tried both endings. It turns out that in my version YoYo doesn't appear at all in both versions. That explains my confusion on this matter, so or me it was the same, just Ely's speech was different.

EDIT: I checked my FLICS directory, it's indeed there but I can't remember ever having heard that dialogue.

About missing movies, I discovered in the FLICS directory that there is one where Yo-Yo is drunk. I never saw it in the game... Is anyone know if it is possible to see it ingame, and if yes, how ?
It's the Z03.AVI file.

Robotophe link said:
About missing movies, I discovered in the FLICS directory that there is one where Yo-Yo is drunk. I never saw it in the game... Is anyone know if it is possible to see it ingame, and if yes, how ?
It's the Z03.AVI file.

That movie shows after the credits when you beat the game.

So only when the credits are initiated after finishing the game? That explains why I never saw it anymore. I recall seeing it once. But I never watched the credits after the first time I finished, just sometimes from the menu, but then it indeed never appeared anymore.

Just to avoid confusion, Robotophe is talking about a different video than what the original question was.

Keenan Weaver link said:
Just to avoid confusion, Robotophe is talking about a different video than what the original question was.

I know that, the one where Yo-Yo is drunk and snoring :)

now I think of it, I haven't seen the Z01 and Z02 movies in the game ever either (Z01 is Vargas asking you join her for a drink and Z02 is Wizard asking "Hey Tin-man, how was your day?". Does anyone know when they were supposed to play?

I've wondered that as well... I'm also going to assume those play after failing that mission.

After beating the game and watching the credits, Z03 didn't play for me.

I think Z01 and Z02 were supposed to be general, "Hey, we don't have anything to say, but we don't want the bar to look empty" movies.  They probably decided to cut their functionality after they'd been filmed.

One thing I wish they had in the game (at least cutscene-wise) was a bartender actor... It was used very well in the Wing Commander games, and I think a veteran Resistance bartender guy woulda been a fantastic character in the game.

Another thing that woulda been cool, as stated by the No Remorse strategy guide, were commercials during the WEC newscasts...(ala the intro to Command & Conquer) that also woulda been great.

As my dad would say, "All it takes is money".  No Remorse was a virgin franchise (no, not with a capital V; it's Origin, dammit! And Richard Branson is not Richard Garriot in disguise--if he were, they wouldn't have had to be acquired by EA in the first place, and we'd be enjoying Crusader VI with two million fans on one of the largest fansites for any franchise in the world!), and Origin only had so much money.  And this was at the time that Origin still tended towards budget overruns because they cared so much about the quality of their games.

Dammit, now I'm depressed.

I know it's sort "off-topic", since we are talking about post-Mission4 movies, but I also remember another movie in No Remorse that does not play, in spite it's in the flics directory: I don't remember its filename, but it's the one where Maxis orders (through commlink) the Silencer to board the WEC shuttle at the Hawking Space Center alone, since the Resistance assault team the Captain is supposed to lead will not show up for the meeting in time.

BTW, I remember watching the credits after beating the game, but cannot remember seeing the drunk Yo-Yo's movie...

That movie doesn't play for you? Weird. It always plays for me.

I'm pretty sure it plays right after the room filled with the Solartrons.

Maybe you aren't playing the patched version?

Back