Images and Sounds?

Quadko

Greetings! It's been a pleasure to drop by the last few years and see people excited about Crusader, one (two) of the games I keep replaying and praying for a remake of.

(And cheers to you remakers!)

Please pardon the noob question, but I'm trying to get my bearings. I was hoping to find crusader tile images converted to a common image format, and the crusader sound effects as well - you know, as part of remake resources. Or tools to 'insert disk', extract data, etc.

I see someone extracting 'sprites' and showing the silencer character but no terrain, and I see the mp3 music; are the sprites what I am looking for? Any luck with the sound effects?

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

---
I dream of many things Crusader (Winning the lottery and paying for a sequel! Winning BIG and Buying the C:NR IP to develop! Hahahaha!), but the latest one that brought me here today was investigating injecting some C:NR visuals and sounds into Fallout 3. That got me thinking that a nice set of available-to-use hirez textures and sound effects based on C:NR would be a useful thing to have. I've done some programming and file format reengineering on Microprose's Darklands in the past; I was curious what was in the C:NR space! Any pointers welcome.

Hey there!

You can use this tool to extract the sprites, just simply open the SHAPES.FLX file.

As for sounds, you can use a program that came with the No Regret CD, I can't think of the name right now (SNDMAN or something), and extract them all yourself. Just follow the instructions when you run the program. (It's in the GOODS directory, I believe).

Keenan, I think you refer to "CRUSND.EXE". You are right about finding this in the GOODS directory of the No Regret CD.

I used it years ago to extract the sound files from the game to help create a custom Crusader themed Windows 95 desktop. Unfortunately that desktop theme was lost when my HD crashed back then... :(

I seem to remember that CRUSND works by extracting all sound files in the SOUND.FLX file of No Regret and that there may not be a way to extract single files, but I'm not sure. It should work also with No Remorse, but I've never tried.

I also seem to remember one annoying detail: the file names of the extracted sound files are no help to guess what sound they contain. You might have to listen to them to find out...

No tools to extract graphics on the No Regret CD though. When I emailed Jason Ely about this he told me that he wished to include a tool to extract and replace graphics for the game, but then the size of the SHAPES.FLX file created trouble and he gave up the idea... :(

Berserker79 link said:
Keenan, I think you refer to \"CRUSND.EXE\". You are right about finding this in the GOODS directory of the No Regret CD.

I used it years ago to extract the sound files from the game to help create a custom Crusader themed Windows 95 desktop. Unfortunately that desktop theme was lost when my HD crashed back then... :(

I seem to remember that CRUSND works by extracting all sound files in the SOUND.FLX file of No Regret and that there may not be a way to extract single files, but I'm not sure. It should work also with No Remorse, but I've never tried.

I also seem to remember one annoying detail: the file names of the extracted sound files are no help to guess what sound they contain. You might have to listen to them to find out...

No tools to extract graphics on the No Regret CD though. When I emailed Jason Ely about this he told me that he wished to include a tool to extract and replace graphics for the game, but then the size of the SHAPES.FLX file created trouble and he gave up the idea... :(

The Crusader Explorer can extract No Regret graphics quite easily.

if only it could add the graphics, just imagine how many mods we would see? ehhhh sub-zero instead of The Captain? That would be great :D

Btw, can't we ask Jason for this tool? He should have it I guess.

Cyberion link said:
if only it could add the graphics, just imagine how many mods we would see? ehhhh sub-zero instead of The Captain? That would be great :D

Btw, can't we ask Jason for this tool? He should have it I guess.

If you are in touch with him it wouldn't hurt trying to ask. :)
I'm just not sure he ever coded something or even completed work on that graphics tool though. From what I remember from his email (some '97 or something email) the whole idea of a "No Regret graphics tool" was given up early. :( Too bad I've lost my email archive and can't check Jason's exact words...

Thanks for the pointers, by the way. I didn't have any trouble with the images. I was going to grab the sounds as recommended, but stuck the disk in and started to play instead... I'll get to it one of these days. It's been fun to play with in some spare time.

Back