I'll be leaving for a while

Jupix

Hi guys,

This is just an announcement of something I've only mentioned to Keenan and Nikolay (Cyberion) so far.

As you may or may not know, all Finnish men are obliged to go through a period of military training in their lives (look up "conscription" on wikipedia). This is usually at the age of 19. As you know I'm that age now, so it's my turn.

I'll be leaving next Monday, the 7th of January. It's unknown to me how long the service will last, but expect at least 9 months, maybe twelve. I've sold my PC, and will only be using my laptop and iPhone while I'm there. This means I won't be able to map, code, compile or configure.

During my time with the army I will be dropping at the forums every once in a while. More than this, I've asked Nikolay to take over the project while I'm away, so he will be doing routine tasks such as documentation, maintaining files and general overseeing the project that I've been doing.

Now, just because I'm going away for a while, doesn't mean Regret will be put on halt. What I'd like most is for you guys to continue working on it, make content, model, maps, materials, whatever. It's important to keep the project going, and the more content we have, the faster I can put together Alpha 1 when I'm back. Some of you may have what it takes to map for Source, so if you can, help others with whatever mapping requirements they have. Playtest maps, for example. All the materials and models can be found on the forums, right here.

In case you need copies of the models and materials we've got so far, I've got a repo at http://jupix.info/regret/repo/models/ and http://jupix.info/regret/repo/materials/ .

If you want to look at the mapping from a developer's perspective, I've put the .vmf at http://jupix.info/regret/repo/mapsrc/1.vmf . However, please don't fork it into a public release, as it's WIP. Wait for when I'm back. I've put it online so that you can gain inspiration, or look at how I've implemented the Crusader features that I have.

Anyway - as I said, I'll see you guys here on the forums every once in a while.

Thanks.

Juha

We also have this military nonsense here in germany, but lucky me I let this all behind me, and yeah it's a period of 9 month.

Too bad, I hope the project continues on because it's on of those mod that I just HAVE to play  :D

However good luck in the boot camp I heard it's going to be stressful at the beginning and very boring after the first 3 months or so  :mask:

Aye, have a blast (ok, pun intended). I was in the reserve defense forces in Ireland and it was a good experience, although only a short-term taste. At least you'll know how quite a few guns feel when you come back to the project! :)

best of luck bro, stay safe.

Sounds like a good old fun time.  Never had to go through such a thing but sometimes I wonder if I should have.

We'll stick at it and hopefully we'll have it running good by the time your done.

ok I'm back. Was away for my holidays.

What I can say here? Let's keep working guys on what we can. Textures and models and of course Mech Control Code :D

I'll update the list of needed textures and some other stuff in few days.

Ok, Jupix,
good luck with your duty (hope you still get this)

Let us keep up the good work.

Hey Jupix, i wish good luck and a lot of fun  :)

Hope we have some progress here...
Nevertheless i think we need a bit more organisation here.
What do we need, who is working on it etc.
It would be also nice if somebody else could put the stuff together to see problems for example with the code early enough and finally to motivate  8)

I'll orginize the stuff. I have some stuff to solve in real life. After i'm done i'll update the lsit of needed elements.

First of all I'd like to thank everyone for their kind words of encouragement.

I'm here to tell you things have now changed somewhat. I'm going to be short and sweet about explaining it. I was in the army for a tad over two weeks, and like I suspected, I wasn't up to it. After about a week I started having severe pain in my ankles and thigh, and towards the end it was impossible for me to take part in anything, and very hard to even walk at a normal pace. I was granted relief from service on most days and I even spent a couple of days in the ward.

I'd known from the beginning this might happen. I'm not what you'd call fit for a physically demanding service. I was hoping it might not be that bad, that the army had grown up to be more individualistic about such things nowadays - but I was sorely disappointed to find out it was just as bad as I'd feared.

Long story short - I told them I wasn't fit for that kind of job, and they kicked me out to civil service. CS was always the alternative, but in Finland, it's generally not even considered an alternative. It's a disgrace, and the people there were all forced to opt for it, either for their lack of physical or mental health or religious or ethical reasons. Basically the people there are the lowest-10% of the nation and they are ridiculed for it. It's like having to serve your prison time in a mental institute instead of jail.

That is the general opinion. Naturally, I disagree with everything there is to it. I think CS is the more humane option, and the only reason I went for the army was I was hoping to contribute to the system on some level fitting to my presence, my individual properties. I was hoping I might make it through even though I wasn't at the level of everyone else. Well, that didn't happen, and the army was nothing I was hoping it would be, and everything I'd feared it to be. CS is like a drug to take away the pain of that which is the army. It makes it all go away without pain, and even though my folks suggested against it, and even though the general populace doesn't approve of it, I'm going to be doing it. Because I have no choice.

So, what will happen now? What's going to happen to Regret?

I don't know. They didn't tell me. They only said I'm going to be waiting for a letter with a date on it. It might take months for that date to arrive, how many, I don't know and neither did they. CS people are processed every month, and I'll be in one of these batches.

Civil Service in Finland is a 12 month training. My army training would've been 12 months, so I don't lose any more of my life, contrary to the popular belief. The first 28 days are spent at an army-like installation where we live and sit in classes for 8 hours a day on weekdays and go home for the weekends. Regarding this - among the reasons I opted for CS is liberty. First of all liberty from following orders, but I had no problem with that in the army. Most of all it's the liberty to do as I please with the time after scheduled action. This does not happen in the army.

After the first 28 days, I will enter the second phase of the service. Work without pay for the rest of the 12 months. Of course, it'll be 8 hours a day maximum and I'll be living where I please, how I please. You can probably see how I saw this as the obvious choice.

As I said in the first post, I'd sold my PC in anticipation for a 12 month army service with little or no time off. That held true. The two weeks while I was in the army we were working 14 hour days, with no free time, and no permission to use electronic devices. So now I'm without a Regret-able PC.

What I was planning is buy new kit when I get back, but obviously, my plans are going to have to be changed. I'm now looking to buy a laptop, which I'll be able to use during the training, and until it makes sense to buy a PC again. What this means is the new Intel CPU's, scheduled for a February release, and GeForce 9, also probably coming out in February. If something goes wrong again or I get really delayed, I'm going to be waiting for Vista's successor before buying anything, so that's probably next year.

A laptop means Macbook Pro. I want one for a couple of reasons. First of all, I want the quality and resale value of an Apple. Second, I DON'T want the hassle of buying a laptop PC. An MBP can also run my desktop TFT, which most other laptops can't, including the regular Macbook, and Macbook Air.

So it remains to be seen how able I am going to be to map and run Regret. I'll probably dual boot OS X and Windows, so it's certainly possible to use Valve tools. I'll probably be able to do something. I'd like to. I'll have a lot of stuff on my mind, so Nikolay can stay leader, if he wishes to. I'll be able to do some of my regular tasks, in particular, I'm hoping I can code a proper repo for Regret dev files.

So, in short, I'll be here for at least a couple of months from now on. I'll be contributing in any way I can, and you can consult me for any founder's advice or such. I'll be desticking this thread until I'm going away again. Let's get on with Regret, and try and forget any of this ever happened - until it happens again.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Juha

First of all, glad to hear that you're back man.
But don't worry about being in Civil Service. In Ireland, CS jobs (although not mandatory) are looked upon as some of the best places to work in the country. Besides, army life is tough.

Cheer up man, it could be worse, and it gives you freedom and the chance to work on Crusader.

Hey,
a big "Welcome Back" from me here.
I'm sure everything will come out alright. My CS had it's annoying, but also it's funny moments.
Do you have any influence on where you'll have to go?

I can agree to abyssary.
The best thing was the regular working time, so the end of the day was free time.
The other things could be arranged, sometimes it wasn't easy, but that isn't army too.

Hey Jupix,

Sorry to hear about all that but hey, at least your back with us making the dream a reality.  :)

Back