Abyssary

Generator

Reference Image
18c_000.bmp

Poly Count = 1040
Triple Polys = 2036
Status = Mesh done

Images

Thanks, round objects are especially complicated.
Giving an rounded object 2 or 4 more section can give you 200 more Polys in the end if you don't take care.

On my earlier models i usually combined the parts with boolean unifiy because i like a closed mesh without intersecting polygons.
But for our mod this isn't really necessary and just adding the parts toegether keeps the count low.

Hehe, this one was actually fun to map.  :D

I've tried to take advantage of the symmetry, so that as much polys as possible could use the same uv-space.

The texture is also much less distorted than in my earlier works.
Nearly all squares of the checkerboard are still squares and not something with more corners than the actual model . :)

Abyssary link said:
Thanks, round objects are especially complicated.
Giving an rounded object 2 or 4 more section can give you 200 more Polys in the end if you don't take care.

On my earlier models i usually combined the parts with boolean unifiy because i like a closed mesh without intersecting polygons.
But for our mod this isn't really necessary and just adding the parts toegether keeps the count low.

Very true...I face a similar problem with large storage tanks 1 as the square bounding take up as many sections as the large cylinders do..but as the main model is about the cylinders, can't go low poly on that :)

In Sketchup there is a similar tool: intersect, which intersects the selected geometry and one can delete the unwanted geometry. Would UV mapping get difficult when boolean unify/intersect is not done?.

Just found this between my files. Seems i started texturing and never uploaded the results.
I'm not satisfied with the color, but that depends on the illumination.

Any suggestions on how to improve on this?

well there are plenty of ways to improve it. The best is to create texture with a lot of small details on it. Like metal plates, so it will look more bulky and technological.

However this all depends on how we can draw texturers ;) And so far we lack the one, who can create such textures.

Back