Excessive spam...

JC Denton

Spammers are hitting this forum pretty hard these days. I wonder is there anything we can do about it aside from clicking "report to moderator"... >(

I need to talk to Cyb about this spam stuff. There's no easy way of dealing with it in TinyPortal as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I'm getting kind of tired of reporting all the spamposts. I think requiring email activation of a new account including CAPTCHA at sign up might help.

ReCaptcha helps a bit. I'm using PHP Fusion 7.x and accounts are still being created on my site. I have turned on requiring admin approval before account activation and it stops the flow. Oddly enough, the spam accounts that one of the other admins activated did not post on our forums or any content on our site.

I am in the process of making a simple horizontal slider bar with values ranging from 1-100. Every week, the server will randomly determine the required value and will force users to slide the bar till it reaches that value before they can create an account. I don't know if it will help but I thought it was worth a shot.

I've limited wiki editing to users that have 1+ edits. I also manually set the wiki edit count for users to 1 if they email me. So far, no spam at all, down from about 200MB / day.

I've turned on admin approval mode for now. Additionally, I've deleted every user with 0 posts. Hopefully no legitimate users were deleted!

Keenan Weaver link said:
I've turned on admin approval mode for now. Additionally, I've deleted every user with 0 posts. Hopefully no legitimate users were deleted!

If so, they hopefully read this topic, are understandable and sign up again :) Maybe even post.

I've put in a registration question which should knock out a lot of the bots. No need to registration approval now.

Boy, this is really making me want to start on my redesign of Echo Sector. No more SMF.

Put in a more rigorous registration question. Only the HARDCORE fans will be able to register now!

Keenan Weaver link said:
Put in a more rigorous registration question. Only the HARDCORE fans will be able to register now!

- Type in Dr. Hoffman's lab keypad combination?

- Type in everything Weasel is wanted for?

- How many guards are posted at Echo Sector Rebel Base?

- What color is YoYo's/Wizard's drink?

etc.

:)

JC Denton link said:
[quote author=Keenan Weaver link=topic=3258.msg8636#msg8636 date=1314720792]

etc.

[/quote]

Hell, even I don't know those answers.

Keenan Weaver link said:
[quote author=JC Denton link=topic=3258.msg8637#msg8637 date=1314726628]
[quote author=Keenan Weaver link=topic=3258.msg8636#msg8636 date=1314720792]

etc.

[/quote]

Hell, even I don't know those answers.
[/quote]

But you don't need to register any more ;)

Back