DOSBox 0.74 Crusader Guide

Re: DOSBox 0.65 Crusader Guide

Hi everyone! I'm trying to play Crusader for the first time in probably 10 years. I've got the original CD and have installed it using DOSBox (0.65), and everything seems to be working fine -- up until the first elevator in the first level. When I go into the elevator, the screen fades out, but never fades back in. The game isn't crashed, I don't think, because the music continued to play, and pressing CTRL+M worked to change the track. Nothing else I tried made any discernible difference, though. I installed the 1.21 patch I found on gamespot, but it made no difference.

I tried using D-Fend, but that made my mouse act all wonky and I couldn't play like that (it made no difference with the elevator anyways).

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd appreciate any help, and I really want to play this game again :D

Well, it helps to actually install the patch properly ;) I had thought that running cru121p.exe would install the patch, but it just *extracts* the patch ;) Anyways, now with 1.21, the elevators work (though there is about a 5-10 sec lag, is that normal?)

Is anyone else having trouble with D-Fend though? With just running DOSBox itself, the mouse works as it should. With D-Fend, it only appears to turn one way (based on watching the reticle), and moves way too fast to be usable (I played with the in-game mouse sensitivity, to no avail).

The lag is somewhat normal... I usually get a 3-6 second lag on elevators.

I don't use DOSBox to play Crusader all that often, though.

Have you turned up the cycles?

Yes, at first I was playing at 15000, but on mission three with all the conveyer belts it started lagging again, so I turned it up further to 25000.

Re: DOSBox 0.70 Crusader Guide

It has an auto cycles adjust... No more need to adjust your cycles manually!

Keenan Weaver link said:
DOSBox 0.70 is out! It's A LOT better!
True!  I managed to get No Remorse running in DOSBox, but it is frustrating to mount the drives and dictionaries! :eek:

Any help please?

Windows XP
3.2 GHZ Pentium 4
1024MB DDR 400 RAM
DOSBox 0.70

Please state your problem in further detail. I am sure your PC spec is more than sufficient to run the games. This guide outlines the steps to  get the games running. If you need more info, the comments in the DOSBox config file are always your best friends. You can also type HELP in DOSBox window to get some help on a specific built-in command.
Dictionaries, what's that?

Wow the new Dosbox is sweet I can actually play the movies :) Gameplay is still sluggish but I think without a new PC that won't change.

Dazzy link said:
Please state your problem in further detail. I am sure your PC spec is more than sufficient to run the games. This guide outlines the steps to  get the games running. If you need more info, the comments in the DOSBox config file are always your best friends. You can also type HELP in DOSBox window to get some help on a specific built-in command.
Dictionaries, what's that?

I meant directories. 

Anyway, I managed to get No Remorse running in near perfect shape! :)  Plays like a dream with only a few minor glitches relating to mouse/keyboard control. 

No worries, just blasting away at Consortium troops and mechs!  What a great game!

Re: DOSBox 0.63 Crusader Guide

Cyberion link said:
you are welcome mate :p
Well at last a version Of Dosbox 0.70 decent, the other one the videos of crusader didn't see like this. Thanks And I could resolve my problem because, there were many files during the installation that worked bad and I recopied them again. ;) I'm actually playing in loose cannon difficulty hehe. ;) Let's see how good I am.

Stop randomly quoting random messages. JUST POST A NEW REPLY.

Keenan Weaver link said:
Stop randomly quoting random messages. JUST POST A NEW REPLY.
The option of Replying sometimes doesn't appear in many posts. So revise it.

If you read the red bar of options... click "Reply".

OK, I found it. I was saying that dos box 0.70 made a lot of differense from other versions. When I played videos where really slow. They should change the amount of memory size, 64mbs is low. Having 512mb in my computer it's really a waste of memory. Of course If I had an Athlon 64 BITS 3200+ will be great!. Dos box in that environment will work as in an old pc. I'm playing at this moment to Crusader No remorse and I'm in the funny sector where you close the door and a guard teletransport again. hehehe :D;)I'm going to make 10000 credits for buying weapons to Weasel hehehe. ;)

Making 10000 credits there is very hard, the game system will not hold it. For there are too many guard corpses on the ground, even if you use det-pac, burned corpses still stack. I don't think you have got any "corpse-free" weapon then besides using cheat. Kind of screen buffer overflow? When I made 1000 or so, image of that part begins to screw up.

Back