No Remorse Doing No Remorse interview article, HELP NEEDED

Retroplayer

First off, I know me coming on here and asking for help outright may seem very stingy to some but I think it'll pay off.

Over the last two months I've been contacting anyone and everyone I possibly could from the development from Crusader: No Remorse in order to conduct interviews that will be inter cut alongside an article I'll write about the game. I write for thegamingliberty.com under the name Retroplayer and so far have chatted to devs in Psygnosis, composer Brad Spear as well as having other interviews in the pipe line. We only started our website in October but so far we're getting great attention as in Ireland there isn't many gaming websites like ours.

Anyway, I'll get to the point. What soon started off by contact Mark Vittek led to contacting more and more people who worked n the game. So far I have interviews from Mark Vittek, Tony Zurovec, Kirk Winterrowd but I'm also in contact with Suzanne Savoy (Vargas), Ev Lunning jr (Maxis), Daniel Gardopee and Andrew Sega. And finally, thanks to Suzanne Savoy I may get in contact Marco Perella (Weasel), Carlos Compean (Nicholas Cardova), Tonie Perensky (Shannon Brooks) and Alex Morris (Col Stephon Ely). If it all goes well it'll be a huge article and one that I hope you guys enjoy. I'm a fan of the original game myself so chatting to them is almost surreal for me.

Here's my problem, I'm trying to either rip or download cut scenes from the game most likely ones of the actors mentioned above. I've tried this with the PS1 version but it rips them as audio. I'm tried it with the PC version but I can't find them anywhere. Could you guys lend me a hand? Having videos embedded alongside the actor would help and really look quite well. Is there possible a place whereby I could download all the cut scenes?

Thanks!

Oh and by the way, here's my own articles so far.

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/category/news/games-information/retroplayer-games-information-news/

If you want images, try Squint's playthrough (lets play crusader no remorse squint -> @ google) and take screenshots.

Thanks very much for your reply, Candy. :)

I'll see what I can do with those videos but if anyone could direct me how to rip the original cut scenes myself I'd be grateful. Or if anyone has them downloaded themselves that'd be perfect.

Anyway, I'll be sure to mention you guys at the end of the article!

By the way, I'm also in contact with Bill Johnson and trying to get in touch with Beverly Garland.

Very nice! I'm excited.

I can get you in contact with Beverly Garland and Marco Perella. I'll PM you.

Thanks for that!

However, I contacted Beverly shortly after posting and she's in for the interviews. But a huge thanks for Marcos email. I'll email him right now and see if I can get his input.

If you can find anyone who may help with decoding the video codec format (Jason Ely, Eric Willmar), I'm very open to help. I haven't worked on it for a month now because of work on the 3d engine but it's definately not stopped.

An alternative is running it in dosbox & slowing the time in the virtual environment, and then figuring out what frames to grab. That comes with its own catches & problems so I'm still preferring to read the actual movies.

Good luck on the reviews. If you can hint to them about the remake I'd be interested in their opinions about it.

You know, I may take those links you sent me, download them and crop around the fmv sequences. However,r I also might run it on a PSX emulator, get to the sequences and record the screen. Not quite sure at the moment. Then again, I don't get why using certain programs like PSMplay and such I can't just rip the PSX videos. They always rip as mp3s. It's quite frustrating.

Also, I haven't asked them about a remake but I did ask Tony Zurovec and Mark Vittek about a sequel. I can't say they seemed in any way optimistic but I guess they're just being realistic.

Got answers back from Andrew Sega. He sent me two more emails to contact more people and his answers where great overall.

He also sent me something that is quite interesting indeed. However, I'll get back to him and ask if I may post it alongside the article. I'll keep you all updated though.

I need to e-mail those guys. I've actually never talked to Andrew Sega before.

As for the movies I've given up on the theoretical concept of figuring out the codec. I've decided to try out how long the brute force method would be, and it's about 24 hours for all movies (except for one, that I think isn't used). That's acceptable.

How to rip a movie:

Copy the movie to T02 in your movie-directory (FLICS in your "cdrom"). Start dosbox, startup the game and let it play the intro movie. Before it switches to graphical mode, press ctrl-alt-f5. After the movie is done (not before the end but soon after, <2 seconds) press ctrl-alt-f5 again. That records the movie (and a stub movie) to Dosbox's format. The stub movie is the bit *just* before the movie, which dosbox puts in a separate file as it's a different size. Upside, the actual movie starts is in the second file at the exact begin.

You can install the Dosbox codec or use mplayer to view the result. You can then use mencoder as a transcoder to convert it from Dosbox' format to any other. As you've captured the Dosbox window it's not the video size yet, and at the end is a second or so of the main menu. You can detect the actual video size by using the "-vf cropdetect" option, which also tells you how many frames of main menu there are (so how many you need to remove from the end). Use that as extra parameters to mencoder and you're done.

Hope you also succeed,

Good luck,
Candy

Speaking of ripping the movie; Keenan, can I drop you a 300M tarball with XVid/MP3 encoded versions of all the movies? Not sure if you can upload them (legally), you may want to ask around a bit. As 70% of them are on Youtube/Viddler already I don't really expect any real problem.

I'll see how it goes as at the minute my time om my pc is consumed by doing the interviews. I may have even more people doing it now. I think it'll be a 2 parted article.

Candy link said:
Speaking of ripping the movie; Keenan, can I drop you a 300M tarball with XVid/MP3 encoded versions of all the movies? Not sure if you can upload them (legally), you may want to ask around a bit. As 70% of them are on Youtube/Viddler already I don't really expect any real problem.

Sure thing! PM me the link.

Yeah, I've been watching them. Really great job. Are all the video files of different resolutions by default? I would assume they were all filmed at the same res.

They're actually at quite different resolutions. The middle-of-the-mission calls are 160*112, the between-mission FMV is 240*180 and one of them is a full 604*200 ish (the Origin intro). And then there's a few 240*112's, some others... The resolution reported by the original AVI should be close, if not equal.

Is there any way I could get some of the sequences?

Also, I bring good news! I've been sent an mp3 that once posted with the article will be quite interesting! I'll hold off from saying what it is but it's new and hasn't been heard by many people.

:)

Retroplayer link said:
Is there any way I could get some of the sequences?

Also, I bring good news! I've been sent an mp3 that once posted with the article will be quite interesting! I'll hold off from saying what it is but it's new and hasn't been heard by many people.

:)

I had the hope Keenan would put them online, not sure what's going on in that direction.

You can listen to the sound already using those from the game CD. If you tell me which ones you want I'll throw them in a tarball and push it in your direction.

I'm not quite sure at the moment as all the actors so far either haven't gotten back with answers or haven't even responded. If it goes this way I may not need to even show them in the sequences. I'll keep you updated! Thanks though.

Also, that mp3 that I talked about is unreleased and hasn't been heard by anyone but some guys from EA. You guys are gonna love it.

Yeah, we can probably put the videos on the website. I'll get in contact with Cyberion.

Back