Crusader Universe.

Face

Hello.

First let me say it`s a wonderful site, I wish there were more Crusader sites like this.

Well on to the topic.
The Crusader universe always appealed to me. I liked the vision of the future with great consortium that tries to control the population with the special forces and hi-tech robot army. Along with the betrayed elite soldier that exacts it`s vengeance upon WEC.
But every universe is not 100% original and you can find similarities to the other universes that were created before it.
I think that the world of Crusader is a bit similar to the one in Robocop movies. The is the consortium OPC ( like WEC), there is super soldier Robocop ( Silencer), the ED 209 battle mech ( the Vetron is similar). Also the intro to Crusader when the Vetron guns down the silencers reminds me of Robocop vs Ed encounter.

What do you think of it? Do you know of other similarities.

Cheers
Marcin

Ofcourse I think thats where Crusader was inspired from.

But its OCP (Omni Consumer Products) and not OPC (just a typo I think ^^)

However not only what you mentioned is similar to Robocop, also the news in the movie are like the ones in Crusader (more in No Remorse than Regret)

I always compared these two titles and every time I watch Robocop I want to play Crusader after that  :)

Also on a side note I thought they also were Inspired by star wars  :p

In RoboCop 2, a guy calls Robo "Tin Man".

Also, Kinney (the guy that gets shot to smithereens by ED-209 in the executive meeting) in RoboCop.... is Denning in No Regret.

Ahh I never noticed. On IMDB I read that Kevin Page plays in Robocop but never noticed who he played.  :D

Wow. I never realised that the two universes had so much in common. Even the actors!

As for the Star Wars I think it`s obvious that Crusader suit was influenced by Stormtroopers and his helmet design by Boba Fett`s helmet. On the contrary the Clone Troopers in the Star Wars prequels look very much like Crusader.

I also think that the clothes of seweral actors in No Remorse have the same style as those used in Demolition Man ( Senator Snell or Dr. Hoffmann for example).

Regards
Marcin

I've never seen much similarity between Crusader and Robocop.

1) Silencers are military, not police.  Even the WEC, in its police state where military assets are used as police, wouldn't use Silencers as police.  This may be because of numbers, but would you want them investigating a bureaucracy as corrupt as the WEC's if you were WEC?

2) There is no evidence to indicate cybernetics are used.  Though the suit may augment strength and so on.

3) Silencers are special, but not unique.

4) OCP still had some capacity for good.  Witness Robocop himself.  In addition, at the very least, Detroit's lower-class areas as a whole were not cowed, whereas it seems that in most places only the Resistance is actually trying to resist.  For that matter, the WEC is firmly in control; OCP is only in control of nice areas, and even then, corporate crime is rampant (because OCP doesn't care).

This is not to say the WEC is useless.  Witness things like med stations, which can apparently heal someone on the brink of death to full health in moments.  This may be an in-game-only conceit, but certainly medicine has greatly advanced.

There are similarities, sure, but I don't think Robocop inspired Crusader more than, say, Star Wars (evil empire with a shadowy Emperor being faced by a rag-tag, outnumbered, outgunned group of rebels with a lot of guts, brains, and heart).  Even the look of Silencers seems to be a melding of three Star Wars designs--Boba Fett, stormtroopers, and the Imperial Guard.

That being said, I don't think any one franchise or story was more responsible for Crusader than another.  I doubt the designers came up with the story first, though it may have been a close second behind overall concept.  ("You play a dude in sweet armor who guns his way through legions of bad guys, using a Syndicate-style viewpoint!" "Awesome!  And you're a freedom fighter who fights an evil empire!" "Dude!  That rocks my balls!" "Sweet!" *high fives all around*)

From there, they took tricks from every dystopian setting ever to come up with their setting.

Well

I do not agree with you.

Of course WEC is not exactly like OCP but still is a mega corp that controls the game universe, Silencer is not exactly Robo but if it were so exactly the same the Crusader would be just a copy of Robocop. And this could never happen you know that!

Never the less it is much influenced by Robocop as other members of the forum wrote. You just have to know that taking influence is not the same term as being similar.

For instance the superb universe of warhammer 40000 is nothing more than a roman empire taken to 41st century ( I`m talking space marines only). So you have to know that EVERY universe is being influenced more or less by another, created before it. It is very very hard to develop something not influenced by anything before it.

Cheers
Marcin

Face link said:
For instance the superb universe of warhammer 40000 is nothing more than a roman empire taken to 41st century ( I`m talking space marines only). So you have to know that EVERY universe is being influenced more or less by another, created before it. It is very very hard to develop something not influenced by anything before it.

You just made my point for me.  To assume that anything that is not a parody, satire, or ripoff was primarily inspired by a single source is silly.  George Lucas wasn't thinking of just one thing he liked when he was making Star Wars.  He took pieces from Buddhist and Taoist philosophy, classic samurai films, westerns, world war II dogfights, even Nazi propaganda.

Maybe the WEC was inspired by OCP.  But I think Crusader as a whole has more in common with things like 1984 or Star Wars than Robocop.

But I probably can't convince you of that, just like I'm not convinced that 40k's Terrans are primarily the Roman Empire of the future.  Agree to disagree?

(In case you're wondering, the reason I took so long to reply: I was trying to figure out how to disagree without coming off like a dickbag.  Did I succeed?)

Yeah, you managed it :)

It`s good that you stated your point of view, that`s what this topic is all about.

Back