Crusader series - dev tools/SDK/whatever...

JC Denton

A few months ago, I asked Mark Vittek through a private message on YouTube, if we could get a hold of original Crusader dev-tools, but never got the reply, so I assumed that the answer is "no".

Anyone else ever tried asking someone from the original development team about this?

Did you let him know he'd get +10xp to honor if he helped? I would be thrilled if someone from the original dev team went that far for us, or even just simple feedback. God only knows how busy they are though - or how strong a hold EA has on them ;)

Compel-X link said:
God only knows how busy they are though - or how strong a hold EA has on them ;)

I really think it's the latter. Still, I wonder why he didn't simply tell me that, instead of just ignoring me...  :(

Who knows - perhaps its his way of avoiding an issue that could turn into a legal situation. Its probably like when you are searching through a forum with people posting technical questions and you skip over the ones that are not worth taking either because you see them every day and get tired of answering them over and over again or because its a can of worms that wont end up good for either party.

Maybe you're right. One more on a pile of reasons why not to like EA.  :mask:

BTW, if anyone wanna try asking him again, feel free.  :)

If I could send one of them a simple 10 question sheet about how they approached certain problems when developing the game, it would be gold for us. Perhaps we can 'inspire' them with our tribute :)

Compel-X link said:
If I could send one of them a simple 10 question sheet about how they approached certain problems when developing the game, it would be gold for us. Perhaps we can 'inspire' them with our tribute :)

Now that would be a nice piece of less-obvious social engineering.  :)

Really, I think this is actually a good idea.

I just thought of something...

Why don't we simply ask EA for development tools, or at least ask for their permission? That way, if they say "yes", we could ask Mark Vittek again. I know this is a long shot, but we don't have anything to lose.

I had contacted EA to attempt authorization of No Vindication. This was their response...

We appreciate your interest in Electronic Arts Inc. and Crusader; however, we are unable to authorize your request.  Permission Denied. 

Thank you.

Best regards,

Permission Requests Team
Electronic Arts Inc.

I think that means they like us

"Attempt authorization"? I'm not sure I understand what that means. Does it mean they are denying us the right to call our game "Crusader", or that we don't have rights to use "their" (Origin's) resources?

Both. Their system flagged my request as a commercial project or rights transfer so there wasnt a way to get the point across that this is an indie project that would be distributed privately without being sold commercially. Heck, we do not even take donations. EA processes so many requests, unless it meets certain requirements, they probably instantly deny the requests without looking. Means nothing to me - development shall proceed we just need to properly show who retains rights in the game

At the end of her email shes written "Permisision Denied". Its like shes an access panel from crusader stating, "Access Denied" :p

Lol, never actually thought of it like that. Shes making 'fun' of us! Would have been funnier if she said...

We appreciate your interest in Electronic Arts Inc. and Crusader; however, we are unable to authorize your request. Invalid keycard.

Goku (Keenan) has some good contacts with Jason Ely. 2 years ago he said that he will rewrite the Crusader to work under windows for us. However this never happened.

So maybe Goku, can try and contact him again to give us some hints on the development and on the engine? Goku, intruder alert!

Hello everyone!

It's been a few years since anyone even tried to discuss getting original Crusader dev-tools from anyone who worked at Origin back in a day. A few names have been mentioned (Jason Ely, Mark Vittek) and some attempts have been made, but no results.

Well, are there any changes regarding the status of this issue? I mean, almost 17 years (!!!) have passed since the last Crusader game and I don't really see the reason (other than, of course, legal ones) why would anyone from the original development team refuse to give us the tools they used to develop Crusader series.

Keenan, you said (back in 2011.) that you've already asked once for source code and that you could ask again. Well - ask again, please. :)

Back