No Regret Bah! Or - The Secrets Thread

Shadowen

I both hate and love secrets in the Crusader games.  Love because a graviton shield midway through mission 6 in No Regret makes you that much harder to screw with.  Hate because you see one of those green footlockers up in some cubby somewhere, and it seems completely inaccessible, and you can't figure out how to get to it.

Right now I'm having trouble with three secrets.  I've gotten them before; I just can't remember how to get them now.

1) First mission.  After you speak to Denning and he walks away, laser barriers pop up behind him.  You can shoot the crate, and then the shootable switch, to get them to go down, and use the heavy terminal to take control of the Avatron and clean the room out, but how do you get the security terminal to open up and allow you access to the elevator?

2) Fifth mission.  I can't remember if it's right near the start or right after the first elevator.  Anyway, if you blow up the stacks of red crates, you can get to a floor pressure pad, which opens up a section of wall.  If you go down, you get to a storage and generator room.  If you go up, you find a room with a long series of treadmills.  I know that if you can get past that last laser barrier, you can get to a room with an elevator which will skip at least one level for you.  But I can't remember how to bring it down.

3) Sixth mission.  Right after Torch notes you can take the treadmill (similarly inaccessible) to drop down to the next level, you'll note that in a high-up place is a bunch of barrels of goo in the corner, and nearby, a green footlocker (where you can get a graviton shield).  Behind the barrels is an inactive telepad.  From that raised area you can get across to the other raised area, where you can use the conveyor to take you down to the next level.  Right before you take the elevator that leads to this room is a room with a turret, a reactor, and a whole mess o' barrels.  If you blow them up, you reveal an active telepad.  If you use the switch on the wall to get the lift, the lift lowers, but the switch is destroyed and the lift won't go up again, so you can't get to the pad.

Re: Bah!

You know what's funny about this? I CAN NEVER REMEMBER THOSE EITHER!

Yes, although not every part of secret route is easier than normal one, I tend to always use those alternatives. So normal routes are rarely selected. That's indeed mixed feelings. As for your questions:

SPOILER Warning!

1) There is a floor tile at the northwest corner of Avatron room. If you manage to kill the 2 guards in the room without the lost of Avatron, control the Avatron to step on the tile mentioned above. Or if the guards kill your mech, don't close the computer controlling the mech, keep watching. The guards will eventually patrol over the tile then activate your security terminal. If you are playing No Regret difficulty, you have to drop at least one guard with the mech. With one guard aiming at the elevator door, the other patrolling around, it's little better than suicide. I usually activate Capslock before get the control of the mech. Start your mech heading east as soon as you gain control. That will place the mech between 2 computers(the same ones of No Remorse chip download mission) blocking the gunfire from northwest guard. Adjust position to kill the southeast guard by gun or mech death explosion. By luck, you can kill the other guard, or just wait for his patrol. The entry about this one in the unofficial FAQ by Nate Schwartzman is wrong.

2) This one is a timed and one-shot only(?) process. Using the switch to get the convey belt roll in the right direction to increase your advancing speed. Run west as soon as you bring down all laser barriers using other consoles(Timing counter starts here).  Ignore 2 cannons at the side of the road, which rarely hit you. You'll be running past the last barrier in time.

3) This one is a little tricky. Please SAVE before this one if you want to go.
If you don't clear the barrels surrounding your destination telepad. You'll be in a dead lock teleporting to it. For Loose Cannon and above, you'll blow yourself to hell standing on the telepad shooting those barrels. In Weekend Warrior you have a small chance to stay alive. 
So first take the elevator to the level as normal route. Eliminate any resistance in your screen after exit the elevator(you don't need to bother with that nasty protected turret. ). Use GL-303 to shoot at the wall-camera near the Vetron. There is a rolling barrel on the raised top. When hit by the fragment of the grenade, it'll roll to hit the barrels surrounding the telepad, as you already know what Domino Effect is(You'd better go near the top to check the barrel if it's the first time). Obstacle cleared. Now take the elevator back to previous level.
Now for the one-shot switch, place a dec-pac under the elevator pad before use the switch. When the elevator pad goes down, jump on it. It'll go up again. Watch out for the wall gun trap. Then there is your smooth way to shortcut.

Regrettably I have no save for the areas above, thus cannot post any images.

I should go through both games and make tons of saves at "memorable locations" (ie, spots like these)

Keenan Weaver link said:
I should go through both games and make tons of saves at \"memorable locations\" (ie, spots like these)
Don't you just have a limited number of "save game" spots though?  ???

Sgt.Rico link said:
[quote author=Keenan Weaver link=topic=147.msg674#msg674 date=1167971558]
I should go through both games and make tons of saves at \"memorable locations\" (ie, spots like these)
Don't you just have a limited number of "save game" spots though?  ???
[/quote]

Yeah, but I can just cut and paste the saves to a different location every time I fill up.

If you used up all savegame slots, simply move the save game files to a backup directory. If at any time you want to put one of those old savegames back, simply copy the savegame file back into the savegame directory. That way you can have an endless amount of savegames. Just make sure you use the same Crusader version. My real old No Regret savegames don't work anymore since the copy I bought on Ebay is a different version apparently (v1.06 instead of v 1.01), but my old No Remorse savegames (which I have since 1999 or so) still work.

Not 100% sure right now, but I believe my copy of No Regret is 1.06 as well...

BTW, I was playing No Regret these days and thought about asking you a couple more questions on some of the games' "restricted areas". First question deals with a mission 1 "secret":

-on that part of the starship before Denning sends the "grenade laucher" transmission, there's a computer screen with a message talking about a guy named Tony who is directed to check out a tunnel in sickbay 1 to repair elevator 14. Elevator platform 14 is in a room nearby, just beside a cage with two Thermatrons, but its activation switch is damaged and thus access to the upper level with a green footlocker seems blocked. Sickbay 1 is also nearby, but I couldn't figure out where that service tunnel is; the message infers its "east" in sickbay 1, but I didn't find anything. Anyone knows?

Next questions deal with mission 5, the one where the Silencer must free Ely and Sekada:

-on level 2, there's a lift door with a green card reader. It's located right before opening the door with keypad 981 (or that's the number I remember). I couldn't find the green card, but I used a datapick to open the lift door. That lift moves the Silencer to a small hidden room with two switches: those open a service tunnel and remove also the force field blocking that passage. I found out that room leads to a section of the level which I had already crossed early when the mission started: given there's nothing to collect (apparently) in that small room and and that the tunnel gives acces to a location already visited earlier, what is the purpose of that lift?

-on level 3, after you use a Roaming Susan to activate a light bridge you can reach a section where a lift platform is located in the upper left corner: there's a switch up there, but no apparent way to lower the lift. There's also a small room with a switch and a green footlocker: using the swicth results in hearing the sound of a metal wall lowering, but I can't see anything lowering around? What does this last switch do? And how can I activate the lift in the upper left corner?

The level 1 secret with the maintenance tunnel:

This being a game with an isometric point of view, north is up and to the right, east is down and to the right, south is down and to the left, west is up and to the left.

In the short corridor just outside the two medbays, place a DetPac or two up against the east wall.  You'll blow up a vent grating.

Thanks for the suggestion Shadowen! :) It looks like I was trying to find the tunnel in the wrong room: last time I blew up all my detpacs in the sickbay without finding anything! :)

Edit: I know it's my fault, but I still can't find it...  :-[ Could you please "pinpoint" the exact point for me? Right/left/Front of the vending machine? or maybe in reference to where the sickbay doors are? What I believe is the "east" wall is the one with that pipe moving along most of its lenght, maybe I missing the correct wall?
Thanks for the help?

Off Topic:
P.S. Any idea for those M5 secrets?  :)

BTW, my version of No Regret is 1.06. Could it be the European releases are 1.06 and the US 1.01?

SPOILER Warning!

(I am ready to shoot anyone who reveals secrets in game without warning with UV-9 ;D)

As always, the Silencer faces south when he/she exits the elevator on that level, so you know what the directions are.

For the M1 sickbay, the blasting point is under the first joint(sorry for my poor vocabulary if there is any confusion. Standing between the alarm light and the first sick bed, walk straight towards the east wall, that's the part) of the pipe near the East wall in Sick Bay 1. Note: you have to roll forward under the pipe to set the bomb as close as possible to the wall, otherwise damage to east wall may down to nil. In Loose Cannon and above, you will probably have to use 2 det-pacs. It's recommended to duck and shoot at that part of  east wall with GL-303(as you won't miss that great gun).

For the M5 Level 2 thing, that is just one secret alternative in Level 1. It's worthless when you get to Level 2 by another route. And this entry point cannot access to the hidden shortcut conveyor in that level.

Roaming Susan is on Level 4, as I remember. The secret in that part of the game remains unknown for me. I guess it's used to remove the force-field of the lower wall gun.
406809886_2baf03b791_o.jpg

Thanks for these new suggestions Dazzy! :)

Seems my problem with that M1 secret is always the right point where to place the detpacs. I got the east wall correctly, but apparently I keep missing the right spot! I'll try agains following your directions. :)

As for the M5 secret on level 4, I believe your idea that the switch near the elevator platform turns off the wall gun shields is correct.
Referring to the screenshot you posted, what do you think the switch in the alcove where the Elite trooper stands does? I know the switch doesn't show in your screenshot, but it's the one just near the dead trooper in your pic. I hear something opening when I use it, but can't figure what it is. ???

That's why I love GL-303 so much. Projectile weapon, best accuracy, devastating damage(though it will blow yourself to bits fired in the wrong angle), and the most important one is it can make your digging of secrets much faster. Just make sure the grenade hit the east wall directly. This also applies to other walls where you suspect something is hidden later in game.

I am scratching my head over the M5 secret. The use of switch you can not reach can be easily verified by hack move(I haven't done so since my USB mouse refuses to work under DOS. And I always forgot to do it under DOSBox when I reach that spot. I'll leave it to you.). The problem is how to access it legally? Maybe we need to drop on it from a higher level?

As for the other switch, I haven't heard any sound. It seems that my headphone is not good enough. Secret digging in this game needs good sound card and headphone. I almost think I were a sonar operator working under wartime stress while playing. There is also a switch on M9L1 baring similar description. The possible source of sound can be some platform activated under that light bridge(All I can hear was "Ahhh..." when I jumped down), opening of some door at the end of the 2 conveyors for boxes and barrels(I tried once, inaccessible), something behind hidden breakable venting nets near the lower wall gun. The lower wall gun poses little threat as long as you don't gun down that worthy gentleman with hardhat. Is it protecting something?   
Since it's the last level in the mission, I presume if there is a secret, it will only deal with hidden cubic or Easter Room.

Think of the strange sequence to activate M6 Easter Room, finding secret is really challenging. It's one of the most funny part after dozens of playthrough. There are many "dummy" switches in game, quite a long way to figure out what they are. 

All righth, I finally got the M1 secret right and have been delighted to learn that a PA-31 is available in a footlocker after using platform 14... :)

As for the M5 secret I must say I'm a bit puzzled... The switch above the platform does not shut off the wall-gun shields: it just does the same thing of the red card reader, it merely lowers the same elevator platform. The one thing I can't understand is how I lowered it: I just found it lowered, but didn't do anything stranger than usual (see pic below).

The other switch I talked about is marked in the pic below. I can hear the sound of a metal wall lowering somewhere, but no idea of where. I'll keep looking.
b79regretshot000et4.jpg

Thanks for your tips! :)

I need help with the M1 sickbay/elevator secret. I'm in sickbay 1, and based on the instructions earlier in the thread, I think the right place is directly infront of me (ie. at the first pipe joint to the "right" of the valve):
reglev1.jpg

Am I in the correct spot (obviously not where Silencer is standing, I moved him back so that he could be seen)? I did what was suggested earlier, and rolled under the pipe, but then it wouldn't let me place a detpack unless I turned to face the valve or opposite it. I tried turning towards the valve, taking a step back, and planting there, but it still made no difference (I placed three detpacks, and am playing on Loose Cannon).

It was also suggested to use the GL-303, but I don't have one at this point.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Ha, I was completely on the wrong side! (I found it :D) I completely misunderstood the previous poster's point about being between the first bed and the alarm light as being between the first bed and the alarm switch. Ha :)

In case anyone else is as clueless as me, here's a screenshot:
reglev1b.jpg

(Yah, I found the GL-303 too ;))

That M6 Easter Egg Room

Ah ... as far as I remember, that might be the only No Regret secret I ever stumbled upon. It also gave you the chance to stock up with ammo, ALL the weapons, and everything I can remember being in the game!

Oh and of course .. the Special Level from M10 (so obviously a special level, because it had a different soundtrack than the rest of the mission

Wooooow men! I never saw that room, ever before in my life!!. Thanks!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ??? ::) ::) ::).

Back