AMF2MOD command line tool

Berserker.79

Thought I might share this here, mostly for "historical reasons" and/or in case someone from the Echo Sector staff sees any use in adding this to the site's collection of resources.

The attached zip contains a little command line tool called AMF2MOD (with its source code and readme) that will convert the music (AMF) files from both Crusader games back to their original MOD format. The MOD files can be played in any tracker or player (e.g. age old Winamp, but also Foobar2000 when installing the relevant plugin) supporting the MOD format. This is a tool dating back to the MS-DOS era, so anyone who wishes to run it today will probably need to use DOSBox (or similar).

Fun fact (kind of): back in 1995 I got this tool from Jason Ely himself! I managed to get in touch with him after finding his Origin email address embedded in the asylum.dll file when scanning that library with a hex editor. I sent Jason an email to see if he could help me find a way to get the AMF files to play outside of the game and he was kind enough to send me this AMF2MOD tool. After that, I exchanged a couple more emails with him, the last time I heard from him he mentioned leaving Origin for Digital Anvil to work on a new game called "Loose Cannon". Too bad that game was cancelled, the idea seemed pretty cool from the little bit that Jason wrote about it in that last email.

P.S. Just realized this is message no. 666 in "General Crusader Discussion" and I suddenly feel some "Ultima VIII: Pagan" vibes 🤣

Attachments

• AMF2MOD.zip
    24.9 KB · Views: 5
Very cool! I'm sure @Jely will remember that email. :)

I swear I had this tool on the website at some point. I'll add it. Thanks!

Also, weren't you a webmaster for a Crusader site way back when? Your name looks very familiar.

Last edited:
Very cool! I'm sure @Jely will remember that email. :)

I swear I had this tool on the website at some point. I'll add it. Thanks!

Also, weren't you a webmaster for a Crusader site way back when? Your name looks very familiar.

Happy to hear this will make a good (re)addition!

Afraid it was not me running that Crusader site, unfortunately. Ages ago I used to have a page on Geocities (mostly about Wing Commander and Doom) and at some point I think there was a small Crusader section too. However, I don't think that qualifies me as a webmaster. 😄
Maybe the name looks familiar due to that Geocities page? Or maybe from when I posted on Echo Sector with my old account (Berserker79, without the "." before the number), back when it was hosted by Cyberion Systems? :unsure:

Nice collection of bookmarks! My old Geocities page isn't there, but like I said it never had much Crusader content, so you haven't missed anything there! ;)

BTW, I remember visiting Silencer's Crusader page: funny thing is we were kind of "neighbors" on Geocities, since my own paged used to be in the TimeSquare/Castle neighborhood!

Oh I remember Silencer's Crusader page (not related to me), I still that bookmarked even I think to the archive page that was made (oocities or something like that).

Is that a lossless tool?

I did what I usually do, not search for an existing solution and instead reimplementing the whole thing from scratch. One effect is still wrong in that code, but the rest worked (last time I checked it in 2011).

Back