3D Models

Wow, just wow.

Looks great!  As to your question, the texture looks great.  Just seems like it's been stretched a bit along the barrel.  But yea, can't wait to get my hands on that and blast a way a few guards.

what can I say, looks pretty good.

But just my 2 cents - textures need to be changed. However I know myself how its difficult to texture models... I wish we had a guy who can do textures for the models we do lol... but model itself looks pretty decent :p very nice job mate!

The problem whit textures is that you can't find much learning material.

There are thousands of tutorials about modeling out there, but much less about texturing.

Does anyone know some sites where i can pick up some tricks?

For example this one is about texturing starships, but it gives some nice insights:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=43189.0

you need to find tutorials on UV mapping or UV texturing.

Right now I'm at work, so I have no urls at my disposal.

Not exactly. I already know how to make the UV-Maps, although it's quite slow.

What i'm looking for are some tutorials for Photoshop of Gimp which show some methods for painting the textures.
Not the basics, but some neat tricks to make the textures look sharper and more realistic.

Thanks Hellhound! Those should really help .

Seems i actually put to much effort into the Weapon.
The field of view is limited and unless i give the silencer unnaturally long arms only the muzzle and the top part can be seen. At least we won't need much polygons  :D

The good thing is that the arm meshes in the sdk only need minor modifications to resemble those of the silencer. Having a finished skeleton with weight maps is a bliss :)

Well ok,

but if I remember right, there wasn't a secondary fire function in the original game.
So we may add for secondary fire a "knock down" animation to disable light armored enemys silently.
So your effort was it worth :p

Yea, I was thinking about that possibility as well.  Something akin to Halo's melee attack.  As well as there being no secondary fire, there was also no melee attacks and lets face it, gamers would be lost without it.

My other thought was the silencer dropping the weapon with his right hand and punching the enemy with the left.

hmm melee attack is cool, a secondary fire would be awesome!..

thought I would post a few pics of the models I am working on
Some of them have a high poly version which I did just for kicks  :)

An industrial machine of sorts:
low poly:

high poly:

The energy recharging station:
low poly:

high poly:

The laser turret:
low poly:

high poly:

AC-88 Reaper
low poly:

high poly (a few additions as there were places that made it look blank):

The PL-1

A failed attempt to make spiderbomb, found out the actual design was very different...lol (had some v-ray for sketchup fun  :) ):

:)

Double Wow!
Especially the fact that the low-polys still look that good.

I think i could learn a thing or two from you.

Heree what can I say, very nice work. Very good looking models. Geometry is perfect, nothing could be said about those models. They are all very good.

HPRegret, bro? Could you start a seperate topic in modelling section? I'll update the list of needed models soon and will post a link to those topics for every model.

Let's say that your industrial machine is the one we require now for the first level

2a2_000.jpg

Looks very very nice. So, please post a new topic named like this machine. Do the same for the rest of the models, so I can link to it from our "needed models" general thread.

Also I have request is it possible that you post models in the following format in those new topics?:

MODEL NAME

Poly count: 500

So we know where we stand. Later on I'll link to those topics from this thread - http://cyberionsystems.com/echosector/index.php?topic=442

P.S. as for weapons, I think no need to post a seperate thread for every gun. Let's make one thread, where you can post all your work about those guns.

P.S.S.S. and as far as I understand you are on a team, so... I'm including you to our Core Team.  :) :) :)

I didn't want to post directly in the "List of needed models" thread to keep it clean.

Cyberion, you wrote you're working on the Desktop PC model, but i already have one.
It just needs some modifications, then i'll post a pic later on.

Furthermore i'll give the "Barrel with Valve" a try.

I first want to test some more models in-game before i proceed with the animations for the weapon-viewmodels.

ohhh sorry. Didn't know about PC, my bad.

When you are ready - post that model in models section, even if its under work. You will just update the thread when you are done ;) Just use model thread to post status and work in progress images on a model if you want to. Thus it will be easier for me to keep track of the things.

on monday I'll update section with required models. Will try to add much more models.

If anyone has big image of fisrt level, could you please provide it to me. I do not have ability to play game on my work lol and since my home PC is dead i'm working during launch time in the office.
Bigger images will let me to see what exact models we need for the first level and it will be easier for me to identify them in FLX resource Explorer. ;)

Cyberion link said:
If anyone has big image of fisrt level, could you please provide it to me.

It's in the mapping forum, unless by "first level" you mean something else instead of the opening level.

i mean bigger. In mapping (the one you created) isn't big. I mean it's big, but not that big so you can zoom in and see the detailes. That's that I mean ;) I need more detailed image, so I can recognise what objects are in  there.

Thanks Guys!!

Owe it Google's Sketchup, its intuitive,easy to use and fast to create models (only limitation is organic modeling)...
Tried to study 3ds max5/6 once (did the tutorials about chess pieces) but ended up not having enough time and it was hard.
Sketchup was easy to pick up and it still has tricks and techniques learned while modelling.

Abyssary link said:
I think i could learn a thing or two from you.
:).. I am not sure, I model a basic structure first, then model the add-on type of details, basically there is not much of a polygon change in the basic structure of both versions.

Cyberion link said:
HPRegret, bro? Could you start a seperate topic in modelling section? I'll update the list of needed models soon and will post a link to those topics for every model.

Also I have request is it possible that you post models in the following format in those new topics?:

MODEL NAME

Poly count: 500

P.S. as for weapons, I think no need to post a seperate thread for every gun. Let's make one thread, where you can post all your work about those guns.

Yea sure, I am posting it. Wouldn't different posts per gun be better, otherwise it would get messy, there is quite a lot of guns!!! :D. Otherwise each post for a gun, making the total number of posts in that topic = number of guns (and each can be updated when needed).
Cool the industrial machine/fuel depot appears in the first level, I believe even the laser turret appears in it too.

Cyberion link said:
P.S.S.S. and as far as I understand you are on a team, so... I'm including you to our Core Team.  :) :) :)
Wow! Thanks!, thats awesome!! :D

Cyberion link said:
i mean bigger. In mapping (the one you created) isn't big. I mean it's big, but not that big so you can zoom in and see the detailes. That's that I mean ;) I need more detailed image, so I can recognise what objects are in  there.

Oh, right - Here, I uploaded the original: http://jupix.info/regret/1-layout-big.jpg

I don't know if it is feasible, but could we make a model for the ceiling?
You know, with the pipes and vents you can see from above ingame.

Of course we would end up with a gigantic poly count if we make it to detailed.
A big texture with normal maps would be the alternative, but none of us is very enthusiastic when it comes to texturing.  :p

Back