3d model - Thermatron

wild_qwerty

Well as long as people are going to try and make some crusader based mods, we might as well start sharing resources like 3d models etc...

I've just started to model the walker mech from crusader, this ones my all time favorite and looks like a simple place to start. I'm a bit of a nob at modeling so hopefully this will progress as time goes by.

Re: 3d models

Wow! That is AWESOME! That's definitely news-worthy when it's complete. We'll upload it to our FTP for permanent download, too.

Very cool. Looks very promising even in this early stage.
The good thing on those robots is that they not really need a skin because they are just grey and metal like.  ;)

Because I am a Vetron fan I hope you make that too when you finish this one xD

I cant even remeber the names of all the different robots from crusader, whichone is the vectron? Is that the big walker? Anyway if I actually get around to finishing this model then I'll try and work my way through the other robots. This is sort of a learning exercise for me and a challenge that I will actaully finish a model that I started.

Good thing they dont need a high quality sking, because I dont know how to do that yet  :-[

our website is your friend bro ;)

http://cyberionsystems.com/echosector/index.php?page=14

Keep on good work!!!

I've still got to tidey up a few bits and add some detail but this almost it. I'm feeling quite good that I didnt quit halfway through :) I think I'm over a hurdle as far as my learning curve goes, well in regards to modelling anyway, I still need to animate it though...

- legs need work
- feet need work
- 'arms' need work (the round things)

I've been using Anim8or which is a free 3d stuff maker - www.anim8or.com

try not to use texture. So far you do nto need to waste time applying it. Better concentrate on modeling. texturing is another school, which needs more learning, so avoid it so far, better concentrate on modeling part.

So far so good. You got yourself a model, which you may now shape and add more detailes. good job.

That looks cool. Like I said...the robots are grey coloured anyway so there is not much of a texture to apply  :D

If you make more robots those could definately be used in No Hope or whatever  ;)

Wow! :eek: Those thermatrons are great pal. Keep on working. Half Of my job had broken with my hard disk :'(. But I will do it better. :D :).

Fortunately I could save the half of the job. I could save the good textures and models I downloaded. ::)

sorry Im not quite sure I understand you? Have you made some models as well? If so what models have you been working on?

My long term goal is to model all of the servomechs from crusader and upload the models somewhere. Since most of my modding is with fallout 2 I'll convert the models into that format. I'm also quite excited to see that there is a modding community for crusader, sure it might be small rigth now but crusader is very well recognised I think when/if we release something more people will get onboard.

You should enter in the Fan Creation section, there's the storyline, models and textures I'm going to use. Otherwise the silencer I'm going to remake it better, I don't like his helmet, but the armor Is quite usefull, it's only mather of changing his Head. It's the halo model base with a red skin, the rp32 is full modeled. I have also more weapons that I'm going to add soon.

I've still been working away on the thermatron, I got stuck on the creativity side of things. I just weren't sure on how to add detail to the model, I started by adding a couple of plates to the legs that look silly, then I added a few bumps and bolts that looks quite nice. Anyway I've added detail to the legs and a done a little more work on the feet. I still need to make the feet a bit more realistic and then I will try and add some detail to the main body.

The model is all rigged up on the skeleton and I've just done the walking sequence, it needs to be tweaked a bit so the model moves up and down rather than it's feets slide through the ground.

Here's the link to the walking sequence.
http://rapidshare.com/files/33049120/Thermatron.avi

Anyway I've learnt a stack load about modeling from this project, I still have a long way to go in regards to animating and texturing/skinning but my modeling skills and at least passable for now. I'm planning on going back through a couple of tutorials and getting a refresher on the parts I missed last time.

It looks quite good! Once you get the upper portion of the mech bobbing, it'll be perfect.

Unfortunately Anim8or doesnt do that automaticaly (future versions will), so I have to do it manualy at this stage. I'm busy tonight, but I'll try and do some more on the weekend.

I do have a couple of questions though about the thermatron in general

1 - The main gun, should I put it on a shock absorber so it kicks back with out shacking the whole mech when it fires

2 - Apparently the thermatron has a second weapon, is this in that little tube on the top?

3 - What are those round things on the side of the mech? They look a little bit like jet engines, but that doesnt make sense (unless its for a turbo bost run?). The only other thing they could be is missile tubes.

Anyway if any of you guys have an idea about how the thermatron should move or fire let me know.

some animations for you mate to better understand the Robot's walking moves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciDrXkVl29g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at9hxU864Fg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X3GD0UnBCk

This one is probably the best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxfKZZ4RNng

wild_qwerty link said:
I do have a couple of questions though about the thermatron in general

1 - The main gun, should I put it on a shock absorber so it kicks back with out shacking the whole mech when it fires

2 - Apparently the thermatron has a second weapon, is this in that little tube on the top?

3 - What are those round things on the side of the mech? They look a little bit like jet engines, but that doesnt make sense (unless its for a turbo bost run?). The only other thing they could be is missile tubes.

1 - Let it shake.

2 - I don't think it's a second weapon. I believe that's the remote satellite that allows the Silencer to control it from a control panel.

3 - The only thing I can think of is those are a way for bullet casings to leave the mech when they're fired.

Back