Crusader games in ScummVM?

Always great to see you here, Jason!

Less-than-stellar controls being the only real issue that people encounter these days is a victory for Crusader's legacy, in my book. That and maybe not-so-smart enemy AI. I follow the "Crusader" category on Twitch and check out streams every so often--it's interesting seeing brand new players and how they react to the game in 2021. The controls are always the first point discussed.

This is very cool to see! I just wish that I saw this thread before I spent a long time playing through Mission 1 in DOSBox... I guess I'll start from the beginning (I hope I find the secrets for the shotgun and rocket launcher again x_x) and let you know of any bugs I run into.

Actually, I do have a request right from the start - I'm trying to copy the default DOS controls over to the SCUMMVM version however you don't seem to be able to find 'Roll Left/Right' to keys, you can only bind a roll modifier key. Is it possible to add those keys? I find them very useful.

Obligatory fantastic work! I'm extremely grateful for the time, effort and care you're putting into helping me enjoy this brilliant game from my childhood. Much love from New Zealand~

Edit: Looks like toggling crouch and sidestep keys also don't exist. I'm surprised to see crouch omitted as I use they key very often.

Edit 2: Looks like you've got these on your TODO list. I think I'll wait a bit before making the switch to the SCUMMVM version. I encountered a bug with the high res mode, the interface stays in the same place as it was in the lower res mode rather than being at the bottom. I'm guessing that you're already aware of that.

Last edited:
If you haven't tried it yet and have a Steam controller: Crusader is great with one! You can bind the mouse to the right pad and the stick to the numpad(with a modifier that if you press it far enough, it will hold shift and start running). Then I just use the left trigger and left back button to control advance/roll. The left pad selects weapons and items and the buttons interact/use/pickup all/jump. It really changes the feel of the game and makes it way more like a game than a simulator with a million buttons. :D

It would be awesome if the SCUMMVM port modernized the controls though!

Haven't had a lot of time to look at Crusader over the last few months, but I just pushed a few changes that should fix some subtle enemy AI behaviour differences from the original. If you start in No Remorse difficulty the first guard now behaves *nearly* identically to the original.

I recently "fixed" a control issue to match the original, but honestly I think it's now worse. If you are trying to move forward and get stuck against a wall, tapping left/right does nothing until you release forward. This is faithful to the original but kinda annoying really. I think I'll at least make it an option to have some smoother/easier controls.

I also added Tab-to-jump today.

Actually, I do have a request right from the start - I'm trying to copy the default DOS controls over to the SCUMMVM version however you don't seem to be able to find 'Roll Left/Right' to keys, you can only bind a roll modifier key. Is it possible to add those keys? I find them very useful.

Obligatory fantastic work! I'm extremely grateful for the time, effort and care you're putting into helping me enjoy this brilliant game from my childhood. Much love from New Zealand~

Edit: Looks like toggling crouch and sidestep keys also don't exist. I'm surprised to see crouch omitted as I use they key very often.

Edit 2: Looks like you've got these on your TODO list. I think I'll wait a bit before making the switch to the SCUMMVM version. I encountered a bug with the high res mode, the interface stays in the same place as it was in the lower res mode rather than being at the bottom. I'm guessing that you're already aware of that.

Thanks for taking a look! Still some work to do I guess. I missed all these extended keyboard keys initially as I did all the dev on my laptop. Now that I have done tab-jump, the single-button versions of roll and sidestep are next on the TODO list.

I've now added all the numpad commands (roll, step, toggle crouch, etc), they'll be in the next nightly build.

I haven't yet added the ability to toggle relative/absolute directions with numlock. Currently it's all set as relative (ie, turn left/right, forward/backward rather than compass directions). If anyone really likes absolute controls let me know and I can probably add them - personally I find them pretty hard to use and I would be surprised if it was a really popular request.

As for the interface staying in the same place after changing screen size, yeah it's a bit of a bug that it gets calculated only when you start the game. If you have changed the setting you currently need to start a new game to have them updated. Not that hard to fix, I should do it.

As for the interface staying in the same place after changing screen size, yeah it's a bit of a bug that it gets calculated only when you start the game. If you have changed the setting you currently need to start a new game to have them updated. Not that hard to fix, I should do it.

Done! Just pushed a fix for that.

First of all, thank you for the great porting job, you did some amazing work.
I hope it's the right place to report this issue (or maybe I should look for a github or something too) but currently I'm stuck in the very first level: this elevator opens but won't take me to the next floor, in fact it can even trap me inside, I have no idea how to continue with this.

scummvm_2022-03-29_21-54-59.png

First of all, thank you for the great porting job, you did some amazing work.
I hope it's the right place to report this issue (or maybe I should look for a github or something too) but currently I'm stuck in the very first level: this elevator opens but won't take me to the next floor, in fact it can even trap me inside, I have no idea how to continue with this.

Thanks for the report! Could you open a bug at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ and attach the savegame? I'll take a look at it when I have a chance. It's possible that something about the larger screen size is breaking the triggers - to be honest I haven't played through much of it with the larger size.

Thanks for the report! Could you open a bug at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ and attach the savegame? I'll take a look at it when I have a chance. It's possible that something about the larger screen size is breaking the triggers - to be honest I haven't played through much of it with the larger size.
I just added a bunch of bugs to the tracker.
By the way I have a few questions:

• Is there a way to enable any cheats like invincibility and all weapons?
  • Is there a level warp code?
  • Is there a way to enable the hack mover?

I just added a bunch of bugs to the tracker.

Thanks! I still have to work out why the picture of the devs appears in the wrong spot, but at least I finally got around to fixing the elevator problem before the next scummvm release! Sorry this took so long, it was a bit tricky to track down and I haven't had a lot of free time recently.

By the way I have a few questions:

• Is there a way to enable any cheats like invincibility and all weapons?
  • Is there a level warp code?
  • Is there a way to enable the hack mover?

None of these exist are available at the moment unfortunately. There are a few cheats available through the scummvm console but they are not very easy to use. I normally work with some local hacks to make me invincible and give me all the weapons - on the todo list for a long time to turn them in to proper features.

Last edited:

Hey, there seems to be a bug with mouse input on Windows 10. Can't control Silencer with the mouse, but can see the cursor in the menus etc. Fresh install of Scummvm 2.6.0 and GOG No Remorse on 3 completely different computers. Weird.

Hey, there seems to be a bug with mouse input on Windows 10. Can't control Silencer with the mouse, but can see the cursor in the menus etc. Fresh install of Scummvm 2.6.0 and GOG No Remorse on 3 completely different computers. Weird.
Hi! Thanks for trying it out.

Yes, I haven't implemented mouse movement - I found the way it worked in the original really awkward so never used it myself. If there are fans of it out there I guess I should get around to adding it some time!

Hi! Thanks for trying it out.

Yes, I haven't implemented mouse movement - I found the way it worked in the original really awkward so never used it myself. If there are fans of it out there I guess I should get around to adding it some time!
I literally joined this forum to thank you for your efforts. My two favorite games. I dream of there being a level editor one day.

There's still something wrong with the turning in the running controls, I haven't been found the time to properly prepare a bug report but since I was passing by here I thought I'd mention it, expect a bug report eventually

Back